• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed, introducing myself

Hello, I am 32 and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease recently. I am feeling overwhelmed by everything but am looking forward to learning as much as I possibly can to feel more in control of this disease. My doctor prescribed Pentasa and possibly Humira once I complete a few more tests.

I am looking for some advice for someone newly diagnosed--I read some threads on here, but what is some basic info that is helpful in the beginning stages?

My doctor told me to stay away from fruits/veggies and I am a vegetarian....so my diet is pretty limited. I've been eating protein shakes, toast, rice, potato...very bland. Any tips?

Thanks for any input!!

since you love veggies, perhaps try juicing them. Be careful with grains, as that may irritate you as well. Watch drinks as well; no carbination, avoid alcohol...drink water for quite some time until you are steady and feeling able to eat a regular diet. Keep it pure and you should be responding well. good luck!

I think mikey had a great suggestion. Also, keep in mind when you doctor says avoid fruits and vegetables, I believe what he means is avoid things that will induce or influence strong bowel movements like prunes, plums, too much fiber, sugar, ect. I would say see what you body likes and doesn't. I would try to avoid sugar, as it often creates inflammation. Too much fiber seems to hurt me as well. I don't do too much dairy. I like almond or hemp milk the best. They make great flavors. I think steaming veggies really helps with digestion. My go to on a flare up is egg whites and mashed potatoes. I think fruits and veggies are an ideal source of fresh nutrients that are great for people with crohns. My last flare up was caused by a coconut. I love coconut water and highly recommend it bc it is filled with electrolites, but don't eat the coconut too much. Nuts in general may be tough to digest. I do really well with avocado raw and fresh. I love it! Also, mangos are some of my favorite! Do you eat fish?

hiya. it is good that you want to take control at a early stage. i go back and forth between vegetarian and eating meat. juicing is amazing. pureed soup and oats. quinua, hot herbal teas, is some of what i eat in a flare. i also eat bee pollen. which gives me energy. i didnt know anything about organic food until 2003 when i met a friend who was vegetarian. have done lots of trial and error. i think most important is having a strong mind and have a open mind. vitamins and supplements are a necessary as we can get depleted fast. rest coping with stress and exercise are very important as well in my opinion. food and stress are my biggest cause for flares. also a food journal to write down what you eat helps to pin point foods that can trigger symptoms.just some suggestions.im allergic to alot of crohns meds so so i had to go another route. i hope you find what works for you.wish you all the best.:hug:

Thanks for all your replies. I just bought a vitamix and am wondering if the veggies and fruits are liquid form, would that make it much easier to digest? I am excited to try new things and make my diet more exciting when I'm ready. I don't eat fish, but I am considering adding it to my diet. Anything in particular you would recommend? I've tried Cod once, but wasn't a fan.

I do try to exercise as often as I can which does help in so many ways, so I will continue to do so.

Just wondering this--taking the strong laxatives for the colonoscopy procedure seems pretty harsh on the system--would it aggravate they system to have such violent "cleaning out?" Do they have any other way to see inflammation?

I'm so glad to have found this resource, the replies have been very helpful so far!

Hey sammie12,

For fish I would definitely recommend trying salmon. It is really easy to prepare and tastes great too. Just don't fry it. Salmon is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which are good for the heart and inflammation. Avocados also have these "good fats" I believe. I'm a big fan of these.

I think its great you like to exercise too. I need to do that more often.

As for a colonoscopy prep, I would eat liquid diet the day before or not too much at all. Its really not that bad for the system, but could dehydrate you easily. I always get 100% coconut water for this because it is filled with electrolytes and minerals. Some people don't like coconut water, but there are some good ones out there. The hardest part of a colonoscopy for me is telling my boss I need off on Monday so I can prep Saturday and Sun