• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for advice- treating the symptoms

I have been diagnosed with crohns for 4 years and over the last 12 months I have made the decision to come off my azathioprine and instead manage my diet and lifestyle and refer to medication to manage flare ups.

Since my diagnosis I have not had a significant flare up, although it did take a long time for my symptoms to subside.

I have changed my diet and now eat clean, do not eat grains and do not smoke. I limit my alcohol consumption and exercise daily.

I would like to hear from people with more experience- from both sides as I am relatively new to this and in terms of support since diagnosis it has been minimal.

I am reaching out on here to learn from crohns suffers who have successfully managed their contrition through diet and treat flares. Equally, and almost more importantly, I would like to hear from long term sufferers who may have tried this method and been unsuccessful.

I am not militant about drug less treatment- but struggle to see the upside of having to take a serious drug daily, for which I have to have quarterly blood tests in order to ensure there is no damage to my kidneys/ liver etc.

I am quite naive about all of this, as I have said the support on offer haven't been great.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply,

Steph xx

hi steph.this is a great place to come for info advice and support. im a long time cronie but when im well i try to forget and live. as worrying is alot of reason i flare. stress cant always be avoided though. food is a big issue as well. so mind body and spirit work hand in hand. we must nourish all 3. everyone is different with food. and pretty much have to find what works. exercise is always good for aches and pains depression anxiety. im allergic to most crohns meds so i have to find other ways. also kicked pill addiction. med free for a yr and a half. if you need to talk im here.know what your going through.

Hello and a very warm welcome to the crohns forum :).

I still relatively new to the crohns world and so far have only been treated with pentasa and a short course of steroids, so I can't really offer any suggestions. What I can say is that you have definitely come to the right place for information and support, there are so many amazing people who just want to help. So welcome and I'm glad you joined us.

Aw thanks guys for taking the time to reply!

It's a minefield isn't it?!!

I've kind of spent the last 3 years just ignoring my crohns, but I'd like to start trying to take charge of it and if I can do that through diet then that, to me, seems like the best method...

Thanks again. I hope u are all well and symptom free!!

Steph Xxx

Aw thanks guys for taking the time to reply!

It's a minefield isn't it?!!

I've kind of spent the last 3 years just ignoring my crohns, but I'd like to start trying to take charge of it and if I can do that through diet then that, to me, seems like the best method...

Thanks again. I hope u are all well and symptom free!!

Steph Xxx
Hi Stephy. I agree with you on your take on drugs - I am on Infliximab at the moment and it's done wonders for me, but despite that, I don't like it one bit. I have heard about Professor John Hunters EN and LOFFLEX being very effective (even bought and read his book), so now just waiting to see my GI to try to get him on the same page.