• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What does a flare feel like?!

Ita

Hiyaaa.. Im a newbie to all this (I was diagnosed with crohns about 4/5 weeks ago) I got my ileostomy three weeks ago and im just getting used to him!! Freddy is his name... He getting reversed in 3 months!! I am on a low fiber diet at the mo and when i start re introducing different foods i was told to be aware of what foods could cause a flare up!! What should i expect if i was to get a flare up?!

Hi and Welcome. I guess I would have to remind you of how you felt before you were diagnosed. Like that. But.....I have trained myself over the years to be HIGHLY vigilant to the signs my body gives me about food. Some things like honey or rye flour cannot be hidden from my tongue, they bring about an immediate burning sensation. With corn products I know the second they hit bottom after I swallow, gut just gets this 'feeling'. Then there is the 'it hurts all the way through', or the 'doubled over on the floor', or the ever so popular ' damn, there goes another pair of undies'. Go slowly introducing a new food- a bite in the morning and then another a couple of hours later to see if it's okay. I would suggest only ONE food in a three day cycle. I don't really know if a specific food will 'cause' a flare but it sure in the hell can make it worse. The ideal is to learn what foods feel good for you and ignore the rest. I figure if the food I want to eat is worth the pain I'll go for it, but Damn, it has to be worth it. 'Hi' to Freddy ;)

Ita

Thanks Dunbar... So far so good with the foods, but i really havn't tried fruit or vegetables yet... I remember those 'doubled over on the floor' pains, i dont think any foods are worth those again... If a food burns the back of your mouth, but you had no problem with that food before, have you built up an intolerance to it? I find chocolate really uncomfortable to eat now but i had no problem before, should i stay away from it?? I love it doh!!

From my experience when your bowels are starting to become inflammed, you will notice pain before you need to go to the tolite that will get worse over time and stools tend to be *not normal* / compact anymore. Your body is good at letting you know when something is wrong and any discomfort while digesting / passing food is a good early indicator I think.