• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help

I was dx with crohn's in 2003. Intially I was placed on drugs such as prednisone, asacol, 6-mp and cortisone suppistories. Whenever I had a flare those drugs worked great and within a week, I was back at school -- a bit weak, but still able to manage.

In 2008 I started Remicade, which was a miracle drug for me. I had less flares and was able to get off the other mediciations.

2011, I was laid-off and lost my health coverage. But in those two years, I didn't have one flare. It was amazing and i was very fortunate.

2013, I found a job, and was abled to get a GI, but he was giving me the run around and didn't prescribe my anything until the last minute. He gave a prescription for Humira, after a few months...after I accepted a better job.

Within two weeks of leaving my former position and insurance, a bad flare came my way. I don't remember ever having a flare this bad.

I can't eat anything, I can't DRINK anything (within minutes of sipping on water or gaterade, I have to run to the bathroom and poop out nothing but blood, then sit for a few extra minutes with a wastebasket in front of me to throw up.), I feel very weak...breathing alone takes a lot out of me.

I went to the er twice. I was given a prescption of prednisone, asacol and cortisone suppistories this past friday. It doesn't seem like anythings working though. I feel the same. And in the past when taking these meds, it seemed they worked pretty quickly.

My health insurnace for my new job starts on the 5th of Oct...but I'm worried about how I'm going to go to work. I start this friday. I'm not expecting to be perfect, just decent. And i would hate to lose this job...when i need the health insurance. Any advice??

Sorry for the typos and rambling...it literally took me over an hr just to write this.:(

valleysangel92

Staff member
It sounds like you need medical help ASAP, if you aren't able to keep down liquids then you run the risk of becoming severely dehydrated and if youre throwing up all the time you probably aren't absorbing your meds either, you really need some IV fluids and probably some IV meds. If this keeps going then you'll loose a dangerous amount of weight. I know this isn't what you want to hear but without getting this properly under control you can't even think about starting work, your health needs to come first. Your employer should understand and if they don't you probably would be better off with another company anyway.
Please get checked out.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. And i agree with everything you said, the problem is that without a job, I have no health insurance - which I need to deal with my illness.

I saw there's a lot of threads to receive humira for free; I'm now looking into remicade. I'm just mainly scared that the remicade was so effective for me, that nothing else will work. It's strange I've been taking all these other meds and there hasn't been some improvement. :(

valleysangel92

Staff member
We have a support group for people without insurance, look in the support section. I live in the UK so I don't know anything about medical insurance.

I know other users have got help with their medications. Tagging Jennifer and Nogutsnoglory here, they might have a better idea.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing so well. I saw you mentioned Humira and wanted to give you some info. I'm currently taking this medicine (just started; next dose is tomorrow) and I get it for free. They have a patient's assistance program that I encourage you to look into. I know you're leaning more towards remicade, but it can't hurt to look into it. Good luck and I hope you start finding relief!

nogutsnoglory

I have good insurance and never had a problem thank God getting my medications covered but I can understand how frustrating and scary that is not knowing if you can get on the health plan. I am not sure of the law where you live but I think if you start the job and enroll in the health plan you are in. COBRA allows you to stay on the company insurance for 18 months. I would call the labor dept and find out how soon you are eligible for COBRA.

Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

My mother just faxed over the Humira form for the free rx to my doc. Hopefully the process goes by quickly. I don't know how long I can live like this; I've already lost 10 lbs in a week/ :-(

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi cca2013 and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. :( You do have some low income health clinics near your area http://www.freemedicalsearch.org/cit/ca-ontario I go to the CHC myself here in California. This site seems to want to list every single city it can think of in California but you can find some near your area here (can't find one in Ontario but Pomona isn't that far off (I used to live in Pomona)) http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf?_function=list&state=ca

Its important to note that Humira and Remicade can take a while to start working. If you're vomiting a lot and passing a lot of blood then the ER may be the best place for you (have you been going to the ER in Pomona or at a different hospital? I remember Pomona's hospital wasn't that great unfortunately). They should run some tests and may even admit you to give you IV fluids and IV steroids if the oral Prednisone isn't working (what dose did they give you?). You may be dealing with a blockage if you can't even take down fluids.

Do your best to take in any fluids but you really need to be seen soon (I highly recommend going to the ER, go to a different one if the last one didn't treat you well enough, this may require some travel, please find a ride). Have your iron levels checked as well to see if you're becoming anemic from all the blood loss.

As for possibly not being able to work, you can apply for SSI and or SSDI through Social Security. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/ You'll want a doctor to back you up when you file for disability (GI or GP, someone). It can take some time to get accepted and if you are denied you MUST appeal. Having a lawyer can speed up the process and they only take a percentage of your winnings and not until you win your case. Once you start receiving disability benefits you'll automatically qualify for Medi-Cal (Medicaid for us Californians). Its free government run health care. All doctor visits, tests and medications are free (including Humira and Remicade, I've taken both and have Medi-Cal because I receive SSI). At most you pay $5 when you go to the ER. Other than that I haven't had to pay out of pocket for anything. Its worth looking into and applying for if you aren't able to work. You can always go back to work when you're feeling better in the future.

Keep us posted. :)

Thank you so much Jennifer. I actually went to the Arrowhead Regional ER and I was fortunate to get a quick referral to the Family Health Clinic. They gave me meds, but still, no improvement AT ALL. In fact, I've gotten worse. Tonight my mother is driving me down to the USC ER in LA. She heard that they actually treat patients and try to treat the patient before they leave. Hopefully that's true. It's just going to suck being in the ER for hours. I can barely hold my head up, breathing is exhausting and I'm in so much pain. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror this morning and was stunned -- I'm starting to look like the man in Stephen King's Thinner -- really frail, pale and weak. :(

I'm currently taking 60 mg of Pred 1x a day
800 mg of Asacol 3x a day
Hydrocortisone supp 25 mg 1-3x a day

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I really hope you get the help you need there. I know its quite the drive especially with all the LA traffic. D: You definitely need more immediate help if that 60mg of Prednisone isn't doing anything. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to admit you even if you are already diagnosed. Keep us posted, hope it goes well. *HUGS*