• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi all - my story and upcoming second surgery

Hi all - new to this forum but sadly not to Crohn's. Glad to have found you guys though, and have been having quite an afternoon of reading.

Bit of background on me - I was diagnosed 13 years ago at age 17 after 6 months of symptoms. I understand that's a pretty speedy timescale: I was lucky enough to have a warm, interested and tenacious GP at the time. When I was diagnosed they confirmed I had a stricture and things have been pretty up and down since. At the start I had long stretches on prednisolone and also a couple of decent stretches of remission. I've been on the low flex diet for two distinct periods and a whole gambit of other drugs like mercaptopurine (I really don't remember the names of all of them!!)

On 1st April 2007, in what was becoming a recurrent pattern, I was admitted to A&E due to persistent vomiting that would not stop, but unlike the other times I did not go home 12 hours later. I was admitted with the intention of surgery but was told I wasn't in a particularly safe state for it, so instead was put on an ng tube. Some 5 weeks later they actually operated (I had switched from the tube to shakes after a week thankfully!). I had an ileocecal resection losing about 20cm of small intestine, the valve and the first part of my large intestine.

All was well for about 8 months (in fact all was fantastic!!) and then it wasn't. Symptoms restarted but this time withe more emphasis on D than V (although thankfully with less pain than I remembered from before). Different drugs were tried (I forget the names - sorry), different tests were completed and eventually after not much luck with anything else and a few ups and downs, I started on humira in Jan 2011. I was then pretty well for about 18 months and then things started to deteriorate again. Many months, tests, and a couple of balloon dilations later I sit before you all with a shiny new(ish) stricture, a bowel-bowel fistula and staring down the barrel towards my second op.

To say I'm a little nervous would be understating. I've sort of forgotten what the first one was like. I do remember feeling just amazingly well afterwards so that buoys me, and a lot of people seem to have this done laparoscopically now which I think I feel better about. But still, I'm nervous.

I say staring down the barrel; really it's not planned til January (its quite nice that this time is planned). But I wasn't expecting it to be this soon. I thought optimistically that I might get another couple of years in. But no, said the doc today, now is the time.

Right now my only real question is did any of you find your second surgery more easy going than your first?

Other than that I just really want to say hi, and thanks for existing and being here!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the community. I'm sorry I've only just seen your post.

I've never had a fistula, but I did have a very narrow stricture which I've recently had surgery for.

It's understandable to be nervous, just remember your doctors have all done this before and will take the very best care of you.

Your doctor is could well be right about the timing if you are getting obstructed and/or needing multiple balloon dilations. Have you tried any medications for the fistula?

Feel free to ask as much as you like, there will always be someone that can help you :)

valleysangel92

Staff member
Im going to tag in some members with a little more experience that might have more of an understanding of what you are dealing with and might be able to give you better advice :).

Tagging : Absentminded, xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx, DustyKat, PsychoJane, Pointy_ears

Do you guys have any advice or comfort regarding fistulas and surgery?

Hi angel, the only medication I'm on is humira 40mg per fortnight, which I've taken for nearly 3 years. I understood that was sometimes used for fistulas, but in my case the fistula developed after already being on the drug.

I was just surprised the surgeon felt now was the time. My GI said he was referring me for a discussion as I was heading in that direction but I was left with the impression this was more of a 'future options'. Maybe I just heard what I wanted to hear when the GI was telling me about the referral.

Surgery scares me. I know it can bring great benefits, but it's only 7 years since my last one. I don't want to have to do this every few years or so!

Hi sorry to come to this post late, but after reading your story I wanted to tag in :) the important thing to remember with any surgery on Crohns is your consultants won't do it on a whim as they like to preserve as much bowel as they can for as long as possible. They would only operate if they really have to and think it is in your best interests.

All I can really advise you to do is talk the plans of the op through with the surgeons in detail and if you haven't had the chance to talk to a Stoma nurse as well as there may be a risk of them forming an ostomy depending on the condition of your bowels.

It'll still be important to talk to the GI to discuss diet and meds for when your home after the op so they can try and give you a long and healthy remission. I hope all goes well for you and you start feeling better soon, please keep us updated.

Hi Pointy Ears, thanks for your post. As it turns out I didn't get much more time to worry about the surgery. I ended up with a partial blockage and had emergency surgery just over 3 weeks ago on 2nd November. Apparently the surgery was "interesting" as I was joined back together in an unusual way in my last surgery!! Luckily no stoma for me this time. Just at home recovering ATM. Sadly, I apparently still have active disease and not just the complications, so it is likely I will remain on humira post-op although a switch to 6MP was muted. Got an appointment with my GI on 9 December to discuss. However it seems the surgeon was bang on - now was the time!! I just couldn't wrap my head round it as I am nowhere near as ill as the last time I had surgery. Guess that proves just how stupidly long I left it last time!

It's good to know your back at home, hopefully your getting some rest and not being poked and proded by district nurses. I hope your feeling better after the operation despite the active disease, did they tell you why they didn't tackle all the disease surgically or did it flare up straight after the op?

Flare ups are strange beasts in as much as hey can do a lot of damage in the background and you may not even know your flaring till your in hospital. I've had a couple of moments like that in the past. Best wishes for your GI appointment I hope they can help you have a comfortable and enjoyable Christmas at the very least!