• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possibility of osteoarthritis?

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi, thankyou for sharing

Unfortunately in my case gluten is not the culprit. I have coeliac disease and I havent touched gluten since I was diagnosed at the age of 14. My joint pain started at the age of 12 but got significantly worse at about the age of 18, a while after gluten was cut out. I'm super careful with my diet, even the smallest amount of gluten makes me resemble a puffer fish.

As for cutting out milk, I suppose if I can't get things under decent control another way it might be an option, but if only 8 of them did that then it doesn't seem like thats what put them into remission. I struggle to keep my diet varied as it is, I cant eat any gluten, I cant eat fruit and veg even if it is cooked well, and I've just started brace treatment so hard food is out too.. I'll be a student from september on an extremely tight budget, so at the moment I cant really afford to be cutting more out unless I really need to.

I will make sure I keep it in mind for the future though, since if things get out of control then anything is worth a shot (well, anything safe).

Thankyou for sharing this with me.

my little penguin

Staff member
Will your docs prescribe resting hand splints??
DS had joints issues still to be determine by Rheumo but
The doc did prescribing resting hand splints worn at night which help with the stiffness.
DS aslo uses parafin wax baths to dip his hands in.
Also swimming reduces muscle pain too.
All of these things help and are med free.

Good luck

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hmm that's a good thought... I think they might do, I know they will give me knee supports if I need them so I don't see why a resting hand splint wouldn't be available. You can get some over the counter here as well, but they probably aren't that good (usually very flimsy and break/tear easily) .

I've never heard of doing wax baths, would you get the wax from a pharmacy?

I've heard a lot about swimming and hydrotherapy. I can't actually swim but I've been told that just kicking around in the water can be helpful so I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Thankyou :)

my little penguin

Staff member
DS's hand splints are much better than the OTC ones.
For his your need a doctors prescription.
Parafin wax bath is sold at most drug/retail stores - women use it for beauty treatments .
Most come with the wax .
We got his at a home store that sells towels etc...
But they can be ordered on amazon as well.

Good luck