• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ex opiate user trying to deal with Crohns pain

This is my story. I started using oxycontin recreationally when I was 18. I don't remember how or why anymore and it's not important. I then quit for a year and a half but started again because of a prescription of hydrocodone for a dental issues. This lead me back to oxycodone and was using until I decided it was destroying my life. So three weeks ago today I quit cold turkey. Now back in 2009 I started getting severe lower right abdomenal pain, even while using oxycodone it only dulled the pain. After 4 hospital visits they diagnosed me with Crohns. For the longest time I didn't believe it because I'd see commercials for Crohns medication where someone was always looking for the bathroom, and I never had those symptoms. Anyway, I never had a flare up after the diagnosis. I was prescribed asacol which I stopped taking because I couldn't afford it and I didn't think I needed it. Well on day 6 of detoxing from the opiates I basically lost all bowel control and it was pure water, along with vomiting and horrific stomach cramping every time I would move. I figured it was just a really bad withdrawal. But I called the ER out of curiosity and was told I should come in so I did. That's when I learned I was having a flare. The hospital staff knew I was going through withdrawal. And even though I really didn't want to I took 2 mgs of morphine every 4 hours the first day I was admitted, given through my IV. The next day they upped it to 4mgs which of course I took. Then they dropped me to tramadol so when I was released I wouldn't be on an "opiate" So now it has been 9 days without tramadol. They also prescribed prednisone which I refuse to take because of the side affects and withdrawal. I also am taking Apriso. I can tell the difference in how my Crohns is acting by my BM which still soft but better than before. But I feel bloated, have slight stomach pain (could be hunger), and am burping a lot. Also I barely sleep and am dealing with anxiety and depression. I think the last issues are still from opiate withdrawal but it is all so hard to deal with sometimes. I am constantly wrestling with whether or not I should get something for pain but never do because I'm stubborn. And also don't know if I should get something for anxiety but don't because that's also habit forming. Anyway I just wanted to share and if any advice is out there to deal with all this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nogutsnoglory

First off let me applaud you for stopping your drug abuse. While I don't have personal experience with addiction, I can imagine it must be incredibly difficult and frustrating.

I understand your fear of meds and getting addicted but if you are honest with your doctors about your recent drug use and you follow their dosage suggestions you should be fine. Every medication has side effects. Tylenol is the most dangerous drug on the planet, yet people think nothing of it.

Please discuss your concerns with your doctor but in order to get better you will need to take medication and the benefits outweigh the risks.

Thank you for the support. I worry that with pain and anxiety medication I will be stuck on them for life if I get prescribed them. It is so hard to withdrawal that the idea of ever experiencing it again makes me fear even taking anything ever again. And not even that, I know myself, and mentally I think I would become dependant again. I had a nurse tell me I masked my Crohns with my opiate use and that scared me. Who knows what I'm doing to my body. It's just difficult and I have a pity party but with the Crohns I never had anyone to talk to and because I'm unemployed and have no insurance my doctors, though helpful, don't seem to really tell me much besides what medications I can get. Obviously they prescribe me things for a reason but some medications I just have a hard time justifying taking. Sorry for the run on sentences.

nogutsnoglory

Can you see a drug abuse counselor? There are free clinics where you can get help to cope. I would discuss your concerns with your doctor. If you just take the drugs as they prescribe them you shouldn't become addicted. They have deemed it safe for you.

You can search free clinics in your area http://www.nafcclinics.org/clinics/search

I am slowly looking into it. It's been difficult due to lack of motivation/fatigue to really do too much of anything besides lay around. Thanks for the link. Any help at all during this is better than nothing. I'm lucky enough to have a supportive boyfriend but he doesn't always understand and he's dealing with staying clean himself so I try to deal on my own sometimes which can be difficult.

nogutsnoglory

I understand and hope you find the motivation to take charge of your health. Once the disease is under control you may be able to lift the fatigue as well.

hi. i know what you're going through. im very proud of you. ive been battling addiction for years on and off for years. been clean since feb 2012 from opiods and benzos. i to have a dental app. i am terrified as x addicts we have a hard time following the order on the script. plus my husband is recovering addict and he was way worse than me. and use to steal my pills. i cant fathom bringing pills around him. i got addicted mainly from hospital stays. but i used to be able to control it and stop after a month after release. but my pain as i got older got worse. i found out about natural healing in 03.found ways to cope with pain and anxiety through diet exercise herbal teas. stretching and massage. works wonders. ive had to use pain meds and lots of other meds that im allergic to now. im in a pretty bad flare now due to a very stressful yr and the lack of availability of medical mj and good food. i hop you find a solution. i just wanted to share from one addict to another. i wish you luck!