• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constant abdominal pain, why?

For the last year or so, I've been having very sharp and severe pain to the left of my navel. It gets worse after I eat and at the mornings and night, but it never fully goes away. I think it is my Crohn's acting up, because I've been having nausea, fevers, abscesses, positive fecal lactoferrin and diarrhea/constipation, too. However, all of my tests say that my Crohn's isn't active. I've even had two colonoscopies, and they didn't show anything. What is going on? I was in the hospital about two weeks ago, and the docs said I had IBS along with Crohn's, and that was the problem. So I tried Bentyl, probiotics, and a high-fiber diet but it made me worse. Now my GI said I don't have IBS, but she doesn't know what's going on. Any advice/ help? I found out that I am lactose intolerant, but haven't seen any difference since I eliminated lactose from my diet. Whew, sorry about being so long-winded, but I'm just so lost and frustrated. I am also trying to get my insurance to approve a pillcam, if that helps.

nogutsnoglory

Have you been tested for gluten sensitivity? It might not be crohn's or IBS but a reaction to some food you are eating. I know it would be hard to identify this but are there any new foods you have been eating in the past year that come to mind?

I've been tested for celiacs, and it came back negative. I haven't been eating much of anything, just safe "white" carbs and applesauce, mostly.

nogutsnoglory

Well even without celiac there is just gluten sensitivity and according to this site a whopping 18 million Americans suffer from it. I'm not saying that's your issue of course, my first guess would also be IBS but your doctor ruled that out so I'm trying to think of other culprits. It wouldn't hurt to get another opinion since you continue to suffer.

In the meantime check out this site and see if it may apply to you http://www.celiaccentral.org/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/

Hi Essielove,

Have you been checked for Fodmap intolerances. I have fodmap intolerances and if I eat things like onion, watermelon, mango as well as other high fodmaps I get symptoms similar to a flare.

I haven't been checked for a FODMAP intolerance, what tests show this? However, I did go on a no FODMAP diet for a couple weeks to see if it might help me, but I almost felt worse on it. I lost more weight (I forgot to mention that I've lost about 25 pounds over the last few months, unintentionally) and my stool got really water-y

The test for fodmap is called a hydrogen breath test. Another possibility could be an infection of some kind?? Maybe a persistent parasite ?? Has your Dr requested a stool test to rule out infection?