• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Making friends with crohns

I just posted this on the teens only sub forum, but I thought i would post it here too. I am 14 so I cant go and drive myself to meet someone, and I'm not on any social networking sites.
but here it is

I was wondering if anyone here has friends with crohns or colitis. If so, how did you make them? Sometimes I just feel so lonely and I just have a longing to have a friend with crohn's. Someone who will understand exactly what i'm going through and who i wont feel embarrassed to talk openly around. I know that i have all you guys and everyone else on this forum to talk to- but it just isnt the same as knowing someone in person.

I'm sure all you know that teens are very judgmental, especially in high school. it sucks sometimes. I have like 2 friends that know i have crohns disease, and i am pretty sure they think i just have stomach problems. I want to be more open with people but its hard to tell my best friends "i know we have been friends for years but i have been hiding this from you..." The one friend who i can sorta talk to has a lot going on also and anytime we talk it turns to one of us venting out our problems. - and when i'm so stressed i feel like banging my head against the door and screaming at my fish, i dont really want to hear about how she got in a fight with her parents.

Anyway, Camp Oasis has been suggested, but that isnt really a likely possibility. Doing a ccfa walk is a possible idea, but it probably wont happen.
What ideas do you have? Has anything worked for you?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Wish I had more comforting words to say. But, even though many of us here aren't teens anymore we're here too. Believe it or not, there are a few ladies on here who actually did get to meet each other this year! May not be the easiest thing to do. But, it is possible. Sending hugs your way. :hug:

Hi fishy love I gather you are still at school my 17 daughter has crohns. When she was first diagnosed and we informed the school we were told that there were two other kids at the school that also have crohns. One in her year level and a older student. Her teacher approached one of the students and asked if he would talked to my daughter which he did which was great as she finally met someone who knew exactly what she was going through. Perhaps you could talk to the student services at school there could possibly be another student with crohns also - stay strong

This would have been and still would be such a blessing to actually have a few friends who also have Crohn's!! My family is so supportive of me but I would really like to have someone who knows exactly what I'm dealing with to talk through the mental aspects of this disease. I find my self alone in my head 90% of the time worrying about my problems and that's no fun so yes I truly understand what ur going through and that's a great idea to talk to the adults in ur school they may know some students going through exactly the same thing u r that would be a huge blessing for u so go ask!!!

Hey thanks for responding
Sandrao- That is a good idea, however I am not really sure who I would talk to. We did say that i had crohns on the pages of medical forms they make you fill out every year, and 2 or 3 of my teachers know- but i guess i wouldnt know who to talk to. Maybe the nurse? I will definitely concider my options for my school
thanks!
Jison- that is exactly how i feel!

:hug:

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Please keep us updated on how you're doing & if you're successful by talking to your school about meeting others with IBD/IBS. If there are enough of you there, maybe you could suggest a support group there at your school...

You will meet people over time. I have a co-worker with Crohn's. She pulled me aside and said she noticed my frequent b-room trips...then we shared stories.

One of my old roommates actually has Crohn's too. I introduced myself after playing hockey with some new guys one night. Noticed he had the same vertical tummy scar. He said it was from Crohn's, we had a laugh, and over a decade later we still keep in touch.

Keep your chin up, life will throw someone at you soon.

Heya!

Have you signed up for Crohnology? It may be helpful in connecting you to people in your area?? https://crohnology.com
I have met a few people over the years but my biggest connections are with people online :) I'm 35 but feel free to message me anytime you need to chat about anything.

Jen

Heya!

Have you signed up for Crohnology? It may be helpful in connecting you to people in your area?? https://crohnology.com
I have met a few people over the years but my biggest connections are with people online :) I'm 35 but feel free to message me anytime you need to chat about anything.

Jen
smallfry thanks for the idea!
I just signed up for crohnology- so we'll see how that goes. I dont want to seem deperate for crohns friends, but if i said i wasnt that might be a little lie. Maybe once I finally tell people about my crohns i wont feel so isolated(if that makes sense). I'll let you know if something totally amazing happens
:) :kiss: :hug: