• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm not here for me...

I'm in my 40's now... years ago I had 2 good friends who were diagnosed with Crohn's... one of them, IMMEDIATELY, went natural, homeopathic and intense... she's now clear & has been for years...

The other one relied on not only medical advice but, concerned family/friend advice... 20 years later, she's almost a basket case of evil pain...

So, I'm desperate, for her! She's taken every drug and had every procedure that any of you might recommend, she's worsening annually... she's been rejected from the acute pain management programs as they believe she takes too much medication yet, the doctors recommend her dosage...

This year, it's taken its' toll... the Crohn's has moved to her eyes and she's in so much pain... (not that she would tell you)

I had never heard of Crohn's in the eyes, but with very little research, I found it!

I'm meeting with her tomorrow (we don't live in the same state but I travel for work and I'm making a special stop) and I would love to get some 'heads up' advice or SOMETHING to help her!!!

I don't think she would be on this Forum because the light of the computer hurts her eyes too much but if she is, then I guess this will show how much I'm worried about her and how much I love her!!!

Please, please... does anyone have any advice or referrals to support my dear, Angel of a friend?!?

Crohn's will manifest itself in different ways in people. The truth is your friend who went natural could just have the good fortune of having her crohn's go into remission spontaneously. (This happens in maybe 10% of cases) Your other friend could have a particularly nasty type of crohn's that is very difficult to treat. If your friend (difficult case) has suffered 20 years and tried everything I am sure she at some point has tried altering her diet. This just doesn't work in most people. Crohn's is a serious medical condition and it is beyond annoying when other people suggest to you that if you just "ate healthier" you would be better. So I would try not to compare your two friends cases .

The only things you can really suggest is if she is making sure she has a good GI who listens to her and she feels is competent in treating her disease. She should also see an eye Dr to help her with her eye issues, GI dr's won't treat non-GI issues even if they are crohn's related.

We have a couple of Aussie's on the forum, I am sure they can give you the name of some very competent GI's if your friend feels she is not getting good care.

I would just try to listen. Chances are after 20 years she is an expert on this disease and just needs a friend to talk to..

Good luck, and it means a lot that you are trying to help your friend.:ghug:

Thank you so much!!!
Your response actually gave me tears... I'm trying to do for her what I can and Yes, you're right! I shouldn't compare the two and yes, my suffering friend has tried many different diets...
I will encourage her tomorrow to find an understanding doctor and yes, I would REALLY REALLY welcome any Doc referrals... I just want to see her out of pain... thank you so much for answering me so quickly!!!
Love and light to you,
Dee...

Catherine

Hi Dee, what state in your friend in.

I like our GI and we are in Victoria.

DustyCat in NSW.

There are members from all over Australia here.

She's in NSW but borders on ACT so she has access to both - I'm going to tell her about this Forum when I see her today - I'm so grateful for such quick responses from here!
You are obviously an active community who support each other well! :)

Mummah,
Your friend is very lucky to have such a caring and wonderful person as a friend.

((((hugs))))) Hope all goes well when you get together.