• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is azathioprine the same as imuran?

My daughters first prescription was azathioprine, film coated 50mg. just collected her new prescription and the box is different it says imuran tablets 50mg . Are these the same I understand they can be known as both but I wasnt sure if the dosage was the same if you can see where im coming from, I would hate for her to have a reaction now as things just seem to be improving, am I worrying unnecessarily. ?

PsychoJane

Imuran is the commercial brand and azathioprine is the active agent. So, they are suppose to be the same.

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
They are both the same ,as previous person has said. If you want more info, look up ' mednet.com '. I hope your daughter is doing O.K.
Best wishes.
:rosette1::panda-wave-t::rosette1:

Thank you for your quick response, charlotte does seem to be having some respite from the majority of her symptoms and is even considering being able to go to the gym! Her iron levels are still low and this explains the tiredness still but for her to say she wants to go is great she hasnt had any enthusiasm for a year now so im hopefull she is on the road to recovery fingers crossed, thank you for putting my mind at rest x