• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Denial Fail

Hi, new here.
It seems after a fairly extensive period of denial that I'm probably looking at a Crohn's diagnosis. I managed to convince myself for quite some time that I probably had IBS. Recent bout with 8kg weight loss and some pretty awful symptoms that started impacting on my ability to cope at work led me to finally go to my docs. I managed to reassure myself that things were probably alright when my bloods showed a barely elevated CRP, but then a flexi sig has shown a collection of aphthous ulcers in my sigmoid colon (biopsied) and am awaiting the full malarkey of camera joy and further bowel imaging. Have had a short blast of steroids only until full tissue diagnosis confirmed.

Has anyone here had ulcers found in the colon and not recieved a Crohn's diagnosis? Was told there is a small possibility it's infection related (have travelled pretty extensively) hence steroids not continuing until all results in. Tests for infective causes negative so far though.

Thanks,
Fuchsia

my little penguin

Staff member
There are a few things that can mimic crohn's
which is why there are biopsies done.
some of which are infection
systemic mastocystosis
behcets
and the list goes on...

hope the biopsy results give you answers

Ulcerations can appear in other diseases or inflammations as diverticules, a biopsy can help in the diagnosis, the courage :)

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Fuchsia
Welcome to the forum.

The colonoscopy will shed light on your condition with the biopsies taken.
Let's hope for a better diagnosis than crohn's.
Keep in touch and let us know how things work out for you.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha