• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Where do you inject?

We just began Cimzia for our son. The GI nurse taught us 2 weeks ago how to inject it. We previously have been doing the pen with Humira. We injected that in the thigh, front of it and up or down or slightly left or right. Switched legs each time. With Cimzia, since we have to do both legs...nurse had us do it on outer thigh kinda up towards hip. That's not where the included directions show to inject. The instruction pictures look like the ones with the Humira. Also we moved the location around slightly to avoid and reactions. (Due to instruction book) The Cimzia book talks about moving it around too...and keeping journal to help keep track of this.
Where do you all inject? Is there a spot with less nerve endings?
Thanks for any help

I don't like using the legs - for me they hurt. I only use my stomach I think of it as 4 quarters and go diagonal from each other.

nogutsnoglory

I used the fatty portion of my thighs in the upper center. I don't like injecting in the belly since it hurts me more.

The front of my thighs worked best for Cimzia, mainly because that was the fattiest part of my legs. With Humira I had used the sides of my thighs, but that was before I lost a lot of weight, so I actually had some fat there.

I started my 400mg Cimzia today. I did one shot in my stomach & one in the upper thigh. I watched a YouTube video diary and learned to apply a cold pack to the area for about 5 min before you wash your hands & use the alcohol wipe. The stomach injection was painless but the thigh injection was painful. About an hour after the shots I got a small rash on my neck and within a few hrs the rash was almost gone. Dr office said to tell the dr during my appointment tomorrow morning. I already take 100mg of Imuran daily so I wonder if I will have to take Benadryl when I take my dose of Cimzia?? Anyone else need to take Benadryl?

I started my 400mg Cimzia today. I did one shot in my stomach & one in the upper thigh. I watched a YouTube video diary and learned to apply a cold pack to the area for about 5 min before you wash your hands & use the alcohol wipe. The stomach injection was painless but the thigh injection was painful. About an hour after the shots I got a small rash on my neck and within a few hrs the rash was almost gone. Dr office said to tell the dr during my appointment tomorrow morning. I already take 100mg of Imuran daily so I wonder if I will have to take Benadryl when I take my dose of Cimzia?? Anyone else need to take Benadryl?
When you say painless...are you talking about the stick or the feeling of the medicine going in? Its thicker liquid seems

My stomach injection was painless compared to the thigh injection. The cold pack (not ice pack) allowed me to not feel the needle entering my skin :) the fatty part of my stomach helped the Cimzia medication not sting and burn as bad as my thigh injection. There is no way to not feel the sting/burn of the medication since its so thick. I did have a rash on my neck after an hr of my injections so next dose I will take Claritin 30min before per Dr

I think it depends on where you carry your fat. I have a spare tire type body so stomach always hurts less. (Humira- no CimZia experience. . .yet)

nogutsnoglory

There is no need to take Benadryl unless you find you are having a mild reaction and your doctor thinks it's ok. Most people have no reaction and maybe just a little soreness at the injection site b

my little penguin

Staff member
Also remember it is a sub-a injection
So if someone else is injecting other than the patient
There are other areas

Locating injection sites
Subcutaneous injections can be given in the arms, legs, or abdomen. Your nurse or doctor will help you select the best sites to administer your medication.
1. To locate injection sites
on the arms, fold one arm across the chest. Place your hand on the shoulder and draw an imaginary
line below your hand.
Place another hand on the elbow..Draw an imaginary line down the outer side of t the arm and down the center front of the arm, starting at the elbow.
http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/subq.pdf

I have tried my shots in both my legs and abdomen. While the pain is less in the abdomen, I tend to bleed more after the shot. So I've kept the shots to the legs.