Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Does anyone really know what causes a flare

10-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Hope345
Forum Monitor

Does anyone really know what causes a flare

My daughter just started to bleed again after remission of 5 months and 12 infusions of Remicade. I just dont think anyone really knows what causes a flare, or that much about Crohns.

I pray with all my heart that it gets under control quickly and she doesnt suffer again and have to leave school.
thanks for listening. My heart goes out to all of you.
Daughter (age 17) diagnosed with Crohns Colitis/UC 1/2012 Mod/severe changed to U.C.: 11/7/2014 anemia:blood transfusion current: Flare, weaning from Prednisone, still bloating: Meds ,Pentesa: 2000mg twice daily, Vegan diet, mesalamine enemas .Previous: mercaptopurine, Remicade (13 treatments), Imuran, prednisone ), Flagyl, iron infusions, cortifoam,
Continue to be hopeful
Daughter: age 21, undiagnosed: GI issues
10-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
..I hope things settle down.

Currently on:
Stellara
125mg Imuran

Dx Premature Ovarian Failure 2014

10-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I don't think anyone knows what triggers flares to happen when they do. The only time one of the factors is identifiable seems to be when you're tapering off a medication, and once the dose gets too low, the med's not strong enough to work any more and you flare again. Though even that isn't really the reason a flare started in the first place.

The only positive thing I've found in this is knowing that flares are not the result of something we've done or haven't done. It makes us realise we don't have much control over our disease, but it also means we can be certain we're not to blame for getting sick. We don't get sick from eating wrong, or stressing too much, or not praying hard enough, or any other faults. These things may influence our health, but they don't cause Crohn's.

I hope your daughter's health improves soon. When I was in my last couple of years at school I missed a lot due to illness. It's very hard. But if the worst happens and your daughter does have to take time off, I found having my school friends over to visit helped me feel that at least I wasn't missing out on everything. Having a tutor to do one-on-one tuition at home or even teaching your daughter yourself can be ways in which to help her keep her up with her studying that are easier to manage than attending school when she's feeling bad.

But hopefully that won't be necessary. I hope she feels better soon.
10-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor

I hope she feels better soon!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
10-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Hope345
Forum Monitor

thank you for all your support.
I am going to contact her teachers today or Monday and start gathering homework and help her keep up as much as possible, until they say she needs to do homeschool again (after 10 days of missing school, they delete you as a student) Whatever it takes to get her healthy.
I will make sure friends get over to visit. She is so social it was heartbreaking for her not to have friends. It felt like they all deserted her. Maybe this time I will be a little more encouraging that they gather around her.

The GI wants to run the c.dff just to rule that out (protocol). We have done 3-4 since she was diagnosed and I know it is important to make sure that is not the problem.

The GI also said she was not surprised and it could pass in a month. She said that often a virus will cause a flare but with her Remicade working, it will go away. We are all hoping this is true.

sending my best to all who are suffering and thanks again for listening. It keeps the tears away and helps to know others know what we are going through. As a parent our heart breaks for them.
10-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Julie is the GI planning to put her on something after he rules out C diff?

My daughter gets put on Flagyl for a few weeks and it usually settles things.

..My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I hope she feels better soon.
10-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Hope345
Forum Monitor

The flagyl sounds like a good idea. I will mention it to her GI. We all know how much they love it when we come up with the idea .....

I started our daughter on Kefir a couple of weeks ago and I could tell she wasnt thrilled. Personally I think it helps. she was showing signs of a change in her blood work a month ago so, the kefir helps to balance out the bad bugs causing the problem... (theory)
10-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I don't know what causes them really, just a lot of theories. I hope it gets sorted soon though and that she'll be able to continue with Remicade with success much longer.

That's a good idea of having more of a role in getting friends to come over and visit. It seems like most people just wait for us to get better but we need them now.

Keep us posted. *HUGS*
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel (endometriosis), Tylenol 3 (Osteoarthritis), Zantac 150mg 2/day (acid reflux), Klonopin 1mg (Panic Disorder), Imitrex 25mg (migraines), Zofran 8mg (nausea)
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 19 years and counting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Does anyone really know what causes a flare