• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What brand do you think is best for an ileostomy bag?

I will be meeting my stoma friend next Monday, I was just wondering what brand you guys prefer? I've done a lot of research on this and I have seen that the holister brand seems to be popular. And I was wondering is a 2 piece or one piece better? And does insurance cover the products?:hug:

nogutsnoglory

I think you will have a range of answers. Get free samples from all the companies and see what you like most. I like coloplast the most so far and I prefer a two piece if I want to change my bag but keep the wafer. I also like being able to burp it if there is gas. Luckily my insurance covers it but it's not the case for many here.

PsychoJane

Coloplast is also my favorite brand. It's the one that allows me the longest wear time, rarest leak (pretty much never) and the filter is the best (none of them really works well, but many of them ends up leaking a bit, but this one.)

I can't speak for insurances because here we get a fix yearly allocation by the health system.

I've only had Coloplast. The initial product I was using was quite awful but the alternative I was provided with I find quite good. Furthermore, Charter Healthcare (the company that provide the Coloplast products) are very good in my experience. I've not had a problem placing orders and was quite surprised the first time they called me to ensure the products were working okay and if there's anything else I need.

Nyx

I use Coloplast SensSura 2 piece as well. I don't have insurance so can't answer that question for you.

I use Coloplast Alterna. I need a deep convexity base because my stoma retracts and I prefer a one-piece bag.

As others have said, you might need to try a number of options before you find the one that suits you. There are many variables, starting with the adhesive - some people find that their skin reacts better to one brand than to the others. The supply companies are very helpful and usually have telephone consultants who know what they are talking about.

Is there a stoma nurse (often combined with a mastectomy nurse) at the hospital where you are having your operation? She should be able to help you, too. And look for a local Ostomy Association.

I can't help you with the insurance question, either. Here in Australia we pay a fee to our local Ostomy Association (somewhere around $50 a year) and the government subsidises our supplies so they are free within quite generous limits.

In the US, Hollister is the so-called favorite because that is what almost everyone is given while in the hospital recovering from surgery. However, there are SO many different brands and styles, and because everyone's external skin reacts differently to the adhesive, the particular shape of the bag, the need for flat or convex wafer, the need to change more frequently or less frequently than the next guy, etc., it truly is a trial and error experience until you find the one that works for you.

I have a very wet stoma. The actual output is a normal amount, but the stoma itself is very wet and eats through the baseplate. I was changing every day until I got it right for me and now use Coloplast Sensura. I also have skin reactions to most adhesives and need to use skin prep before applying the bag, but even then I do react to some brands of bags. Just try out as many as you can.

As for insurance, what country do you reside in? Most insurance companies in the US will cover ostomy supplies. It can be very expensive without insurance, but there are also many charities that can help out with getting supplies at a low cost if you don't have insurance.

I've been using Coloplast since getting out of the hospital over two months ago... the best combination for me is the Coloplast Sensura Click pouch with the Assura extended-wear wafer OR Sensura Xpro wafer.

Never had a problem with leaks, never had adhesion problems (those two wafers stick VERY well) and the fact that I can rotate my pouch means that I can wear it horizontally in a stealth belt.

I have samples of other products, but they honestly look like a step down... some have clips, some have strange wafers, some don't rotate, etc....

Hi Katie. I really love that you are already referring to your stoma as your friend, as having a positive attitude will help you tremendously in the days ahead. :)

We are just 7 weeks out from having the surgery, and have been using Coloplast Sensura Click 2 piece with the xpro wafer (xpro = extended wear) Our flange also has some light convexity to it, which really makes the stoma sit up nice and proud. Since we have already reached our $2000.00 out of pocket maximum and our $750.00 deductible due to numerous hospital stays this year, our insurance covers all of our supplies at 100%. (whew!)

If you're in the US, most ostomy patients are visited in the hospital by a stoma nurse, and they will most likely order you a starter kit to go home with. My understanding is that most hospitals use the Hollister brand, but that does not mean it works best for everyone. As others have suggested, you should contact the ostomy supply companies to request free samples. That way, if you ever have trouble with the Hollister bags, you will already have the other products available to try, instead of waiting for delivery. I would also request samples of some of the accessories as well, such as barrier wings, adhesive removers, etc. Again, you may never have a need for these products, but it sure would be convenient to already have them at your fingertips should the need arise.

Here is a link to a sticky at the top of the stoma forum, that includes the company names and contact numbers.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42852

I wish you much success with your surgery, and that you have a speedy recovery and get back to enjoying life again. Please keep us posted!

I have been using dansac for 2 mths I get 2-3 days out of it which is a huge bonus for me.. I've got some samples from welland & convatec to try.. In hospital I tried hollister & a few other brands that I can't remember but they didn't last more that an hour..

I have been using dansac for 2 mths I get 2-3 days out of it which is a huge bonus for me.. I've got some samples from welland & convatec to try.. In hospital I tried hollister & a few other brands that I can't remember but they didn't last more that an hour..
What do you mean they didn't last more than an hour?

It happens to a lot of people. It's a matter of finding the right combination of supplies that work for each individual person.

annawato

Staff member
Hollister, Salts and Coloplast don't work for me (leaks and poor adhesion) but Welland does. It really is an individual choice depending on skin type, tummy shape, stoma shape etc etc. The only thing to do is try all the samples the companies will send to you to see what works. There may also be aspects of particular bags you do and don't like such as how they open at the bottom, whether there is a window to see shats happening in there and so on. Happy trialling. :)

I use Cymed, and I love them! The flange is like tegaderm, it is so thin. The company Elm send you free samples to try them out. They are hypoallergenic and extremely low profile.

I've been using Coloplast simply because that is what the hospital and stoma nurse gave me (I've only had my stoma about a month). I've had no problems at all so far.