• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long does it take to work?

Hello. I have been taking ldn for 7 weeks and I'm wondering how long does it take to work? If it won't work after 12 weeks, should I stop taking it?
Thanks.

Hi - I have been taking LDN for 3 weeks, and I believe I am having the symptoms of it "getting worse before it gets better". I just posted a few questions, too.
I have seen several posts where people asked where you got your script - it has to be compounded correctly for it to work. I used Skip's in FL - everything I have read on here says they know what they are doing with making the LDN.
I am sure that someone who has more knowledge that I do at this point will come along with some answers and advise for you.
I wish you the best with the LDN!

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
For me personally, it worked reaaaaaaallllly gradually... I've been on LDN for about a year(??), but the change was so gradual that it was hard to tell when it "started working," exactly. I was doing OK before I started, but I wasn't 100%. Nowadays, most days I feel totally normal, even though I do have the occasional off-moment or off-day. That said, there wasn't a specific moment where I thought it "kicked in." After 12 weeks, I thought back to when I first started and I definitely saw an improvement, but I really had to think about how I was doing back then. Does that make sense?

I will give ldn maybe 10 more days and if I won't see any positive effect then I will stop taking ldn. It is very frustrating. I saw positive effects only from methotrexate, not Anti tnf drugs or azathioprine. I saw improvement after 5 weeks on methotrexate but I stopped taking it because I wanted to try ldn but now, I'm thinking about returning methotrexate with Salofalk and see the effect.
In ldn forums, I see lots of people saw improvement less than two months. I'm using ldn for almost two months but I don't see any effect from ldn and living with inflammation, high crp is also dangerous.
I'm also waiting for Vedolizumab to be available because it works different from Anti TNFa drugs(such as remicade, humira...) and it has a good safety profile. Trials shows no PML case. I don't respond Anti tnf's and maybe I respond this drug. I think there are lots of people like me. In this link, dr says it is gonna take a year or a year and a half to be available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4koVA5JWEM
Do you have any information about this drug? Or any ideas, expectations?
Thanks.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I'm sorry I don't have any information on this drug, but if you go to the forums search function and type in 'LDN' or 'experiences with LDN ' it will show you all the threads other users have contributed to which should have some helpful information for you.

I have read nearly all ldn threads in this forum, I am seeking some new and/or spesific ideas for my case in this thread.

I have to agree with JDTM, it was really gradual for my son. We are always looking for that immediate drug like tylenol with a headache. You know take it and 1/2 hour later your headache is gone but it seemed like every time we went there was just a little more improvement to say that well maybe we should give it more time until we did scopes and labs at 8 months and there was only healthy tissue shown in scopes and labs were completely normal and we looked back and couldn't really remember the last time he had symptoms. We did however at that time but him on supplemental nutrition as he had not gained weight. He gained weight on them really quickly and we all figured he was still afraid to eat and just didn't feel hungry.
He did have a flare Aug/Sep which we believe was brought on by a C-Diff infection in July and based on where he was at just a few months prior to that with everything being normal his GI decided to just treat the flare and see if LDN would take over again and that is looking to be the case again. We will do labs again at the end of November and I expect them to come back normal.

I was very sick. LDN worked for me, but is was a very slow process. I was not 'satisfied' until about 10 MONTHS.

You can check out some of my posts in the thread I started (6MP).

JJOM

JJOM, thank you for your clear answer. I read your thread now and it give me an idea: I can use methotrexate with ldn if I need to. But with this way, I can't understand which drug is effective.

Last edited: