• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Found doctor willing to prescribe

I have an appointment with a doctor that is known to prescribe LDN and is more toward the experimental type of doc, not mainstream. My GI wont even consider it. One question that I have is can a person have a beer with this stuff since it is made for alcoholics and opioid abusers. The reason I want to get on something other than Methotrexate is so I can have a darn beer without destroying my liver. I stopped taking it a few weeks ago. Also, I am in remission and that was just confirmed by my GI. Should I even take LDN? Will it help prevent this crap from starting up in the first place?

Kev

I've had the occasional beer (or two)... or the odd couple glasses of wine. No problem.

I believe you would need to take 50mg of Naltrexone 3 times a day minimum to treat any dependancy issues... taking 4.5mg once at bedtime... figure it would only cause issues if you sleep walk and drank while doing so.

If you have no symptoms, is there any need to take it? My guess (honest opinion) is no.
I've heard (annecdotally) that some researchers were that impressed with what they saw this drug do that they started taking it as a preventative themselves.. (this may be just urban legend.. I have no details on the story to even attempt to corroborate it)..
If it is true (and, again, my gut tells me it could very likely be true) then maybe there is enough potential benefit (for any number of conditions) to make it worth pursuing. There is of course a risk with any drug that you might experience some side effects. The known ones with LDN are pretty tame... but taking a drug that isn't absolutely required is a risky proposition under the best of circumstances. As for.. would LDN keep Crohns at bay? Well, mine has kept it at bay for almost 6 years now, and all without incident.

I have fistulating crohns and have never had the typical symptoms. No cramping, bleeding, etc. I just get masses of internal fistulas. It took from 19 years old to 45 years old for it to rear it's ugly head. (was first told I had crohns when I was 19 but never had issues) So, Im thinking that I could be an old man before I have issues. My GI is trying to ward off the return of this though. If LDN is not preventative I probably would rather pocket the $300 bucks it will take to see this new doctor and just wait.

Kev

I posted some pix of my internal scar tissue (somewhere on the forum, I forget where). It isn't for the squemish. But, (and I'm not an expert, or an authority, no medical training whatsoever) if you look at the formation of some of this scar tissue, it appears to be fistulas that have grown from one side right across to the other side of my colon. If I didn't have these scar tissues today, I would virtually have no symptoms of my Crohns at all. As it is, I have periods of ungodly cramping just from the massive amounts of scarring. LDN can stop the disease, thus stop the formation of more scars.. but it can't do anything for old scars. Just because your disease isn't typical doesn't mean that it should be left untreated. If you are currently in remission, or your disease is quiescent, then you probably won't benefit immediately from treatment. But if you are having issues; or you know your disease is active.. you might want to re-think it. Okay?