• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore Throat and Flu like symptoms with Asacol HD!

Help!! I'm newly diagnosed CD this month and they started me on Asacol HD 800 mg 3 Times a day. Every since taking it, my throat is sore, its hard to swallow and I feel like I was hit by a train. Complete body aches, feel like I have the flu. Dr started me on antibiotics, day 4 now, and I feel no better! Is this a side effect from asacol, or has anyone else experienced this? ? If so, does it go away? ?? I'm miserable! Don't know what to do!! :(

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
There are quite a few different medications they could change you to. I'd wait and see what they say at the doctor's office. However, it never hurts to look up the medication online to see what it is and such. Many of the members talk about their medications on here as well. You can take a look under our treatment section too for more info. Good luck! :)

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I had a sore throat also with asacol HD. It progressed to spasm in my throat, jaw, neck, back. Dr thought it was GERD so put me on Prilosec. I tried that for 5 days, it did not help and I felt much worse. So I stopped both meds and in a day or two the sore throat went away. Two weeks later, as my stomach was not feeling as well, I took one asacol and the sore throat immediately returned. Back to the drawing board.