• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting to know me..

getting to know me..

Hi,

My name is craig. I started getting sick about 4-5 years ago. At first I would
have to go to the bathroom ugently. I would have a low below the belt pain
that would make me vomit. I would be in pain, and eventually it would
pass.

I never really thought something was wrong, but It started to happen with more
frequency and with more pain and vomiting. I first went to the E.R. when I would
vomit non-stop every 15-30 mins. and after a few days go and get admitted.

The doctors at the hospital ran the gambit from telling me I had pancreatitus,
kidney stones that passed, liver, ect. None were ever actually conclusive, so
I would be in the hospital for afew days w/I.V. pumped with PK, flagyl,cipro
etc..and go home.

Not long after..I would get sick once again. It all came to a head when I got
sick in november of 07. I finnaly saw a G.I. doctor that did a endoscopy
(both ends) before the tests he was polite enough to tell me that people with
crohns were .."of european decent..usually jewish..and onset begins early to
mid 20's. Being that I was around 30, and latino/english .I did not fit the bill.
(does anyone here fit that description? After the tests he did say that there
was some scarring in my intestines ,and really bad esophegus that bled to the touch from all the vomiting.

That all being said, I never got diagnosed with ANYTHING. I know some of you
can understand how it feels to go to the E.R. and have the Doctors tell you
that they dont have any idea what is wrong with you. I switched Insurance
this year and am now seeing a G.I doctor, I had a Endoscopy scheduled last
week and the test was not completed due to me pulling the I.V. out and every
other component off of my body. that was very embarrasing because when I woke
up I did not remember any thing that happend.

So now I have to do another series of tests..CT scan abdomin/pelvis and a full
G.I. series that have to be a week apart..at the end of the month. The only problem is that I dont think I can wait that long being the only med I am currently
on is Prilosec. I dont really want to go to the E.R. If I am not vomiting all the
time..but I am still in pain and not sure what to do. I kind of feel guilty if I go
to the E.R. and I am not near death. any advise would me great..I hope I get
aleast a diagnosis soon. I dont want to wait untill I have a perferration an keel
over.

Craig

my whole family is from france though im not jewish o_O so I'm not sure what they are talking about anyways...
Welcome to the forums :)

Hi Craig. I'm sorry to hear that you're so sick.

I got diagnosed with CD in May 2008 when I was 29 years old. As far as I know, this disease does not discriminate and my doctors tell me that there is no answer as to why people get CD.

I know the feeling of being so ill and waiting for treatment/tests etc and thinking you just can't live like this anymore. If you are that sick and can't put up with it I would ring your doctor and go to hospital. Like you said, something serious could happen. If you go to hospital, maybe they could push the tests forward?

I hope you get a diagnosis and some relief soon! Keep us posted on your progress.

Amanda

I probly will go to the E.R. this weekend..I just dont think that anything will come of it , when I am not at my absolute sickest and they cant find anything wrong.I
doubt they find anything wrong when I am only 75% of my worst. I kind of feel like
I am going around and around. I dont like when doctors cant tell me what is wrong and look at me like I am fabricating all this...its just a no win situation.

hi Craig, & welcome :)

well you answered my first question which was going to be how you thought up your username lol :D

i was also told of the Jewish connection when i was first diagnosed, and was told it was more common in men than women. since then i've kinda come to the conclusion that, if that ever was true, it doesn't seem to be now.

i'm so sorry the doctors haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what's wrong so far.. i agree with Pen in that you shouldn't give up, and don't hesitate to see a different GI if you have lost faith in the one you have.

it could well be Crohn's, it might be something else, but whatever it is, it needs diagnosing and treating accordingly.

and please - don't ever feel you can't seek help because 'they' might think you're fabricating the symptoms... i suffered with Crohn's from the age of 13 until around 20 before anyone started to believe me :( if you know your body is not feeling/behaving right, that is enough to keep you seeking the answers & help you deserve.