• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best way to taper from 5mg of Pred?

Hey everyone,

I'm (hopefully!) finishing a 3 month battle with an obstructive stricture in my TI and I finally made it down to 5mg of pred from 40mg (7.5mg now, starting tomorrow morning). Since I've made it this far, I don't want to rush things but I also want to be done with it so I know for sure if I've "won". I have been tapering 5mg every week until 15, and then 2.5mg every 4-5 days until 5mg.

I understand ~5mg of pred is the physiological equivalent of cortisone so should I be slowing down to 1mg per week or something? I also heard about switching to hydrocortisone 20mg and then tapering off that. What is the point of that?

I hope that once I am done with this I can post the details of my battles to help others as so far I have been staying away from surgery/immunosuppressants!

rygon

I was on 20 or 30mg of pred for 2months (IIRC) and they just tapered it down by 5mg per week. Once down to 5mg I then stopped. I remember feeling a bit crappy every time I tapered down, but perked up after 3-4 days (ready to taper down again :p)