• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Psoriasis

Nyx

Hello everyone,

Well, as you can tell by the thread title, I want to ask about psoriasis. Do any of my fellow ostomites have it? I just recently developed it, and I have to say that it's really annoying! I have it across my scar, around the outside of my flange, and the worst place, my genitals! Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it? Or at least make it more bearable? I'm currently using coal tar topical ointment (which stings like a bugger on the genitals, gotta say), hydrocortisone cream, and polysporin to numb things. The stuff on my stomach isn't too bad, just very flaky, and the stuff near my flange makes it hard to stick, but I've remedied that with tegaderm.

Any advice would be appreciated! I did look at the Skin subforum in the Extra Manifestations section and saw some advice, but thought I'd gather some here so it's easy for me to find later.

nogutsnoglory

Sorry to hear, that sounds awful. I don't have it but a good friend of mine does and really cleared up on Humira. It would also help any crohn's problems you have too so it may be worth it for you.

Nyx

Fortunately for me, I have no Crohn's issues right now...so I don't really want to go on any meds for that if I don't have to. Thanks for the input though :)

PsychoJane

Can you be seen by a dermatologist? There are many topical options but they all need prescriptions. There would also be the possibility to consider UV therapy but I don't think it is indicated in all type of psoriasis...

Nyx

I saw my GI at my regular appointment and she prescribed me the coal tar gel. I guess the next step would be to go to a dermatologist if it doesn't clear up more than it has. Boy, oh boy, how I love Crohn's and all it's lovely side effects!

A friend of mine actually suggested light therapy, but not sure how to do that on my crotch...lol I think that would be a sight to see!!

Nyx

Hmmm...I have a yard, and a high fence...the summer part isn't cooperating though...lol

Hi I suffer with psoriasis and I have it over my feet hands and head I honsely find just leaving it alone and trying to ignore it helps as its caused by stress and illness

Nyx

Thanks for the advice kikidee1994, but ignoring the psoriasis on my lady parts is really hard! It hurts like hell, and when it's not hurting, it's itching. The rest is tolerable though.

annawato

Staff member
Nyx have you tried good old canestan for your "lady Parts" :). I know its an anti fungal an psoriasis isn't fungal but I use it for any itches and rashes in that area- if nothing else I think it must have something in it that is soothing cos it does help. Or maybe its the placebo effect. Hydrosol which is cortisone and anti fungal (i think) may also help????

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Nyx - I sometimes get what appears to be my psoriasis/eczema spreading to my lady parts too- bad enough that I can pull large sections of dry skin off (gross, I know!).....it lasts a week or two then goes away - I'm thinking it is more of an infection/irritation than true psoriasis.....

Hopefully what you are dealing with isn't truly psoriasis - we tried something 'new' at my infusion Monday to see if mine reacts differently...will post about that in a new thread....

Nyx

Went and got some good ole canesten...we'll see how that goes...it can't get worse can it? lol Thanks Anna for the tip!

Hi I have Crohns and was diagnosed with severe plaque psoriasis so I feel your pain with the itching. I've tried methotrexate which definitely helps (and also helps your Crohns) but after a while found the side effects too much so I'm currently on cyclosporine to treat mine which seems to be helping a bit. Hopefully you'll find the right treatment to help :)

Also light treatment probably wouldn't help that, but there is a cream you can get that's designed for sensitive areas on your body if you ask your gp

I have Psoriasis as well but have been on Biologics so long that it barely bothers me anymore. Only a bit during a change of season. I have topical meds but when I dont i lather in Vaseline or Aquaphor and wrap it (not that you can wrap anything in the lady bits).

Good Luck.

Nyx

Well, it seems the good ole canesten is doing the trick! I hope I'm not jinxing myself saying that..

I use Elcon cream for my psoriasis. In Australia u have to get in on prescription u can also get it in a lotion if you have it on ur scalp. The tar products never worked for me. Also humid climates are gr8 for it and the sun or the uv tanning beds..