• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alcohol with an ileostomy

I don't drink rarely ever, but its my neices 21st bday coming up. I have only had my ileostomyfor a week but what is your experience with drinking with an ileostomy?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. I'd take it easy. See what happens. To much increases my out put so I need to watch out for dehydration. If you're on meds check with the pharmacist to see if that's a problem. Flagyl and alcohol DO NOT mix.
Have fun.

Play it by ear,oh and wear something mega tight or baggy,my bag goes like a hotair balloon,
Must admit,i couldnt move much after a week of surgery,was in hosp for 6 days,was about 2-3 weeks i started drinking but i had my 40th 6weeks after surgery and got hammered.and been hammered a few times since,

I'm still in some pain and on 2 different pain pills, so I deff won't be mixing anything. I haven't drank in years due to my crohns and having to run to the bathroom after one drink. I just want to go have fun with her. Lol. I'll take it easy, thanks for the advice. Hainman, mine has been filling like a hot air balloon too. Lol. But mine's cause of it being gassy as hell.

@CrazyCrohnieKatie,mine is to,esp when i drink lager or spirits with mixer,might just stick to Whisky,i have LOADS being a Scotsman,I drank quite regular so im not the "2 cab Dan" if you know what i mean.Just go with the flow,hope you have a good night,

Wait until you're fully recovered before you take up drink again and then start slowly. Once you're in remission again and as long as your medicine allows it drink to your heart's content. I've had my ileostomy for 7 years now and I drink all the time. I second hainman as far as whiskey is concerned. My favorite happens to be Laphroaig single malt 10 year old.