• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Husband has Crohn's and I Need Support...

So here I am. He gave me the link to this site many months ago, and I haven't taken the time to come back until now. We have been married 17 years, and have a 16 year old daughter and a 13 year old son.

About 10 years ago we had significant trouble in our marriage, and we joined the Divorce Busters online group, which was very helpful, and we got back on track. During that time, I realized my husband had chronic medical issues and, more importantly, I realized how difficult that was for me and for our marriage. So I tried joining a forum for people with chronic illness, but they didn't have a group for spouses, and so it wasn't as helpful as it might have been. I'm glad this site has that sort of group. I will go there next :)

It was definitely difficult logging on. Brought back lots of bad memories, then lots of sadness at the admission that this is real, and I have to face that it's not going away, but now I feel better knowing there will be others out there to listen to me, and for me to listen to, and we will all be getting through it. Life goes on, and there is a lot of good in it, even in the midst of pain and suffering.

I am grateful for my husband - he works hard even when he doesn't feel good, he is a great father and a loving husband. I am grateful for my kids, they are awesome and they are getting through this, too. I want to do the best for them that I can. And I am grateful to be starting out as a member of this community.

Thanks for being here.

Jeanine - J9 - jnine :)

I am sorry that you have to go thru this and are feeling overwhelmed. Crohns can do that to a family. One thing that I have found to help is this forum and the kind people here, You can chat about anything that you wish with no worries about offending or being judged. I hope things get better for you.

So - those are all the meds you are on...and all the things you can't eat? Sad for beer....I can't drink alcohol b/c I have migraines. So I have to come to this forum instead:rof:

Well, the beer is back in. I decided to take myself of methotrexate because I was so scared what it was doing to my liver. Even though the blood tests showed only slightly elevated it still scared me. The medications for crohns can be scary but most people are ok. I missed having my beer and I figure that if I am going to have this disorder I am going to enjoy something in my life.

Hi Jnine. I am sorry that you and your husband have to deal with Crohn's but I think it is great that you are trying to be understanding. I am the one who has Crohn's Disease and I am grateful when my husband listens to me. I hope that when you have time you look over this website and other good ones to try to learn as much about the disease as you can. If your husband wishes, maybe he can bring you to one of his GI appts., so that you can ask the doctor your questions about the disease. In any case, communication in a marriage is key.

HI Jnine thanks for sharing your story. Having two teenagers at the same time impresses me. I have a soon to be 17-year-old that decided not to live with me for a year. long story and when my 25 year old was a teen I thought I was going crazy too. I just think it's awesome that you have two teenagers and their doing great. I'm also very happy to hear that you guys made it through your rough spot. 10 years ago. You sure have been through a lot already. Although I'm not the caregiver Im the sick one but I do know I put my husband through a lot. I never mean to. And I hate myself when I do. He's a pretty laid back kind of guy so theres not much that bothers him. Well, at least that's what he tells me. I try to never taken him for granted. He has shared with me that sometimes he feels extremely helpless when there's nothing he can do for me. And I know that's an awful feeling to have. I have never visited the spouse forum, but I'm sure you'll find some great help there. I will pray for you and your husband hang in there.

Hi everyone - thanks for your posts! Not sure I said my kids are doing great?! My daughter has very strange symptoms and has been sickly since she was 5...but we hang in there together and yes, communication is the most important in marriage :) I need to clean the kitchen...I always need to clean the kitchen...and hubby is awake and talking, so I will sign off now after a short post, but wanted to give heartfelt thanks for posts and prayers. Hope everyone is having a good week! :hug: