• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update

Yes today is first of medication called Azathioprine 100 mg a day, and also taking 3 month course of steroids. Monthly blood tests for while, flu and other jab need.

Hopeful I have adverse affects from new medication.

Just waiting on call back from Nurse because ask do I still take Balsalazide.

I hope this course will help you significantly! I went on Azathioprine for awhile, I believe 150mg a day but it really didn't help me much. But everyone is different! I hope you are doing better everyday!

Week one, 40 mg steriods great.
Last week, 35 mg steriods, rectal pain and bleeding.
This week, spoken to IBD Nurse back up to 40 mg and if happened again with taper to 35 mg. Suggest is IV steriods? Admitted to hospital?

Ok being 40 mg for three days, had nearly two days of feeling ok but last night had discomfort. This morning rectal bleeding small amount but lot of pain.

So was feeling optism about steroids being give through the vein strong possibly.

Ok being 40 mg for three days, had nearly two days of feeling ok but last night had discomfort. This morning rectal bleeding small amount but lot of pain.

So was feeling optism about steroids being give through the vein strong possibly.
The typical thinking seems to be, if a patient flares, get them on steroids to stabilize any inflammation, then switch to some other medication for maintenance.

The challenge is getting off the steroids once you're on them.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. Hopefully the docs figure out what's causing the bleeding and how best to treat it. In the past when I've had severe enough bleeding, cauterization of a few places via colonoscopy has fixed the problem (the bleeding, not the cause of course). That probably sounds much more trying than it is, to be honest.

Good luck and keep us informed! There are many people on these boards that can provide feedback and support.

Today remission for last 6-8 weeks which great, had limited colon scope just for own piece. Stop the steroids but still got Azathioprine and Balsadise but 3x2. Diet, bowel settle down, discomfort within bowel is here but a lot better then before. New issues are joint pain.

Check at the hospital yesterday. I am current change consultant to Professor Greenway and Dr plant Rheumatology.