• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worried about further surgery

My husband had his first crohns attack in 2001 and had part of his bowel removed, he was ill for a while and got MRSA, resulting in muscle damage. Then another big attack in 2011 as a result he had a blood transfusion an stoma. Massive infection set in and required another op to try and clear it. 2 years later April 2013 he had the stoma reversed and 3 hernias fixed and his stomach muscles removed due to the extensive damage. We have been told that if he has another op then they will never be able to close him up again ( so we don't know what they will do if they have to open him) now nov 2013 a camera has shown that he is having another attack, gutted to say the least. We have never found out at an early stage so we hope treatment will work, we don't know what treatment they will give him. My husband is trying to stay strong but it's hard. He is also having muscle spasms and joint pain as well and being drained of energy but being unable to sleep due to pain and discomfort, does anyone else experience these kind of things?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Lollie34 and welcome to the forum! :D

So sorry to hear everything he's gone through. Was he not on any form of treatment following his diagnosis or has he taken any medication? What sort of treatment has his GI suggested to treat his Crohn's and help prevent more surgery (you mentioned not knowing what they will give him but I'm curious if they ran some options by him)?

Joint pain, fatigue, feeling weak, discomfort and pain are all possible symptoms of an active flare. Has he had blood work recently to check his vitamin levels (iron, calcium, B12, potassium, magnesium, vit D etc)? Being deficient or even low in certain ones can also cause those symptoms so if they haven't been checked then it would be a good idea to check it now so he can start supplementing soon if needed.

I'm going to tag afidz to see if she can offer any information on his surgery predicament (she's had multiple surgeries from recurring hernias following surgery).

I hope he gets treatment soon. Keep us posted on what his doctor says and how he's doing. :hug:

Hello, thank you for your reply, he has been on Loperamide since the first attack, to reduce the amount of times he needs to go the loo, with these its about 8-12 times a day, and when the second attack started in 2011 they put him on azathioprine and codeine for pain, then morphine. He had repeated stays in hospital where they gave him iv steroids. But it didnt work and 4 months after the attack started he vomited fesses, and then the op was done, he stayed on the loperamide and azathioprine, they stopped the azathioprine 3 months after he has the stoma reversed. We haven't yet been given any options as he sees the consultant on the 25 nov. but it seems like every few days he is slowly getting worse. Ie, going the loo more often now 14 - 15 times in 24hours, stomach pains slowly increasing, fatigue, muscle cramps etc. as you said this could be a lack of vitamins and I will press for bloods to be taken as he hasn't had any taken for about 5 months. He has a very high pain threshold. Hence why each time they find it, it has already mostly blocked. Thank you for your advice and support, just worried about him as he talks like he has no fight left in him xx