• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proper way to raise Vitamin D levels

nogutsnoglory

I'm reaching out because I know many here and in particular David & Judith have been particularly interested and knowledgeable on vitamin D and it's implications for IBD.

I am very low, currently 11 on the 25 hydroxy test. I was at 33 when my doctors started a 50,000 IU D2 weekly supplement and since then I have only dropped more.

I can't believe I not only didn't go up but dropped dramatically.

I'm wondering if I could do 10,000 IU of D3 daily or a mega dose of 50,000 IU D3 weekly to try to bring up my levels. My doctor said D3 shouldn't make a difference but D2 hasn't worked at all. I had read D3 is better absorbed.

If D3 orally doesn't work, do you know if I can get injections? My doctor didn't even know if that's possible.

I just don't want to take a mega dose of D3 if its potentially dangerous but considering I'm so low I can't imagine it would be an issue.________________

nogutsnoglory

You think 10,000 IU daily or is even more safe?

My doctors never want to test for any vitamins other than D, B12, folate or iron. They just say nobody checks that.

nogutsnoglory

I was doing 8k but now got the Solgar 10k D3. Obviously I'm getting a little more from my multi and food but I'm not concerned since I'm so depleted and not absorbing anyway.

I can't tell you David how many times I say test me for X,Y,Z and they nod and I get the same stupid markers. They just don't care about vitamins since they don't see it as disease relevant as insane as that may sound.

Make sure the d3 capsules you get are oil filled as these are best absorbed, I take 10'000 iu's daily for over a year now.

nogutsnoglory

They are oil filled. I'm not sure where they break down. Having an ileostomy they need to break down fast for it to work.

Have you tried a vit d3 spray you spray it under your tongue where it is more easily absorbed. In the Uk there is a spray called D Lux 3000 which has 3000iu per spray.

nogutsnoglory

I haven't seen a spray rob just drops, or pills but I'll look for it. I think I saw a fizz tablet that dissolves under the tongue. I am desperate to try anything at this point.