• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New, diagnosed a year ago

Hello everyone, my online name is Kel.
Ever since I was little, I never had the best of bathroom habits. Two times during my childhood I was seriously constipated, and could not go to the bathroom for a week. As I grew older, my problems seemed to mostly go away. Unfortunately for me, in 8th grade I began to have diarrhea very often. I payed no attention to it at first because, to me at least, it was a welcome change from constipation. Several years later, it began to become more frequent. I sprained my ankle in my senior year of high school and took(as prescribed) the anti-inflammatory drug mobic. The mobic really did a number on my stomach and I stopped taking it after about 2 weeks. It seemed the damage was already done though, as I soon started having frequent blood diarrhea. After several weeks of laying on the couch in an anemic state, my mother forced me to go to the doctor. He reccomended me to a GI who quickly scheduled a colonoscopy for me. Following the colonoscopy, a diagnosis of crohn's disease was confirmed. At this point, I was 6'3'' and weighed 120 pounds. That was almost a year ago this month. My GI immediately put me on pentasa 500 mg, prednisone 20 mg, and iron. I started to feel better almost immediately and so my doctor started to slowly take me off the prednisone, and start me on 50 mg mercaptopurine(6MP). In August, I felt well enough to go to college, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I can only imagine the course the disease could have taken if I sat around my house for a whole year. I feel truly blessed that I have had such good luck in the fight with this disease. I will be finished with my first year of college in under a month now, and I know I'll be more than ready to go back next year. Anyway, that's my story so far, I can only hope for a happy ending...

Thanks for reading,
Kel

hi Kel & welcome :)

glad to hear you've done so well since your diagnosis - looking forward to seeing you around the forum :)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hey Kel. Welcome!
Glad you are managing your symptoms, hope it keeps up for you. What an exciting time for you - going to college, what is your major?

hey kel!
does your real name happen to be kelly by any chance ??? :) (secret: mine does!)
glad that you found the forum and that youve been feeling pretty good!

kel said:
No, I'm not a 6'3'' female lol...
haha no i wasnt assuming you were a girl!

i know both girls AND guys named kelly! seriously, just found out a couple years ago when i met a guy with my name that kelly was a unisex name! who knew??