• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Having a resection - what's the chances of ending up with a stoma?

Hi All,

So I met my surgeon yesterday and discussed my resection. It's in the terminal ileum and is just a stricture about 7cm long and they don't think there's any sign of inflammation from my MRI scan. This is at the site of previous inflammation in an area about 20cm long.

He discussed the surgery and right at the end mentioned there's a small chance I'd need a temporary stoma and they wouldn't know anything until they started the surgery.

Now please don't think I'm being shallow, but I'm petrified of having a stoma. I've been in tears about it already and even woke up in the middle of last night worrying about it. I know I wouldn't be able to cope and wouldn't be able to handle it. Even though he said it'd be temporary if I did need it.

What are the chances of having a stoma after resection surgery?

As the rest of my bowels haven't presented any issues and are healthy will that lessen my chances of needing one.

I'm so upset about this ;( I'm crying as I type this.

Thanks

Yvette.

Hi,
This probably isnt very helpful (sorry) but I thought I would say hello as im having the exact same thing done on friday, same place, same problem (except its 12cm stricture) and I was told too that I might need a temporary stoma.

I think its not really something anyone can tell you, as it is up to what your intestines are like when they do the surgery, my doctor told me if there is lots of fluid then its more likely (I have lots, so I think im likely to get one) but you wont really know until they open you up unfortunatley :( Im sorry your so upset by it all, when is your surgery? As mine is coming up im happy to ask my doctors any questions you have haha xx
I wish you the best and pray you can be ostomy free after your surgery!

(im actually kinda excited to have one, maybe if its a 1in2 chance I'll take it for you haha xx)

Hello,

Bless you that's so nice! I wish I was as brave as you :)

I'm waiting on an exact date but he said in the next 2-3 weeks. By fluid do you mean mucus?

When is your surgery? Really hope all goes well for you :) and lol about asking questions for me, I'm going to stress how I feel about it at my pre-op and when I go in for the surgery.

Thank you for replying and being so positive, maybe I should take a leaf out of your book.

Yvette xx

Oh ok so not too long to wait then, I waited around two weeks, my surgery is on Friday, I'm going to the ward tomorrow afternoon though. I'm not sure about the fluid mucus thing, my doctor just said "if there is lots of fluid(I'm guessing in the area they operate on) then you will probably need a stoma". I only know I have fluid as my surgeon told me from the MRI there is lots of excess fluid and he can feel it so for me its looking likely. I'm sorry its not very specific but that's all he told me. I was also told sometimes they don't give you one to start with but then have to do a second surgery to get one (I guess if something isn't working?)

My doctor said loads of people, practically everyone doesn't want a stoma, but sometimes you have to. I guess I'm unusual haha but I think It will be interesting.

Oh ok just been told that my surgeon had an emergency patient and my slot was the only slot so my surgery has been put back to Tuesday :/ Never mind, these things happen.

Ah I get you about the fluid thing. Thanks for explaining :)

Lol about being different and wanting a stoma! I've just seen some of your other posts and you're only young and are dealing with this so well! What an inspiration, you should be very proud of yourself :)

That's a shame about your surgery being put back, but again you show a brilliant attitude to it!

Thanks again for your responses and I'll keep an eye out for how your surgery went :)

Yvette x

Aha its ok, I hope your surgery isn't too far away, I know strictures can be painful, mine sure is haha! xx

I don't think you're being shallow. I'm sure it came as a shock hearing that. I had a resection just over a year ago to remove a fistula and an inflamed section in the TI. When I spoke to my surgeon before the op, he said a 1% chance of having a stoma.

Ki3 - yes it sure is at times and I've just reduced to lowest dose of steroids today so it's going to get worse, but not long to go :))

Grumbletum - thanks for your post :) it was a shock, but I'm liking the 1% figure! He said it's only a small chance and he'll do everything not to give me a stoma, so I'm going to continue hoping! He said he had to tell people that they could end up with one, so I suppose it's like signing the consent forms...it has to be done. Hope everything's a lot better for you after surgery?

Yvette xx