• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello...new here

Hello I am new to this site but not new to Crohn's. I was finally diagnosed in 1980 and taken right to surgery for removal of an obstructed bowel. Over the years I was taking every drug they had for Crohn's back then. Prednisone at high IV doses was the one that seemed to help for awhile. I usually went 2 - 3 years between required surgery. I had an illiostomy for about a year but it was reversed due to the inability to absorb any nutrition or liquid. I was real sick and came close that time. I have tried every drug and been to many GI docs over the past years. I have been to Mayo Clinic and spent way too much time in the university hospital in Milwaukee.

Currently I am feeling better than I have in years. My only problems now are because of short bowel and need to get blood transfusions now and then. They said I was aniemic. All of the meds that I have used over the years really messed up my body and mind. The bones are soft from prednisone and I have many infection problems from remicade, cimzia, and humira and can't use any of them.

I don't like complaining and am going to stop now. Actually I just wanted to give a little history as it may help someone. I just wanted to give an introduction and say hi. I will most likely be spending most of my time in the medical cannabis forum. Cannabis is the only medication that I have used for the past 2 years and I have had a hard time believing the life changing things that happened so immediately to me.

Thank you for reading my post. I look forward to meeting you people

rundown of my history as it may help in some way

Last edited by a moderator:

afidz

Super Moderator
Like you, I have absorbtion problems and have had more blood transfusions than I can count. I get infections very easily, and when I get them, I don't get them half assed. I don't have an immune system to stand on, but the weird thing is, I don't get colds are the flu or anything like that. (and I am grateful)
You don't have to worry about "complaining" here, there is no such thing. Its nice to be a community where you're understood.
In re: to anemia, have you ever had an iron infusion instead of getting frequent blood transfusions? I have been referred to an oncologist for chronic anemia,( haven't gone yet) but that might be something to look into to try and correct your absorbtion problems.

Hi Afidz, I just started iron infusions last week. I have one every Tuesday for 4 more weeks. I sure hope that they help with being so exhausted. I take my B12 injections every two weeks as I have been doing since the beginning. They don't really know exactly why I am having problems with my blood. I will see how I am doing after all of the iron infusions are completed. The doctor mentioned colorectal cancer could cause the blood problem, but there could be so many other explanations that I will just wait and see.

I don't get colds or flu either. I have been getting flu shots for the past 10 years and they have worked so far. These abscesses and infections are the main thing that concerns me now. I got something called MRSA one of the times I had surgery and it was nasty. Sometimes I wonder if age is the cause of some of the problems that I have been having.

Overall I am still better than I have been my whole life. I understand why some people are down on cannabis medicine. Not enough is known about why and how it works yet. It is definitely a very real and immediate response that I had from starting this unbelievable medicine. I have read every valid study that has been done with cannabis and Crohn's disease. Israel is doing quite a bit of research that looks promising for treatment of Crohn's using cannabis.

Thank you for your response and information. I am glad there is a site like this. I no longer feel like the only one. Have a good day and thanks again.