• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blockage and oat bran

While traveling internationally on business, I felt like I had developed a blockage. I would get brief abdominal pain a few times a day.

When I got back home, I decided to try oat bran with water. Oat bran has health benefits for those suffering from IBS.

I ate the oat bran at noon and at 6pm, about an 8oz cup full of oat bran and 12oz of water each time. Throughout that day I had many trips to the toilet. This episode lasted a good 24 hours so don't try this unless you are home for the day and close to a toilet.

:poo:

But since I took the oat bran I have had zero pain and my abdomen is no longer tender. That stuff seems to clean out the plumbing.

I am adding oat bran to my diet and to my packing list when I travel.

nogutsnoglory

Just be careful with fiber if you fear an obstruction. Insoluble fiber could have a tough time moving through and make a partial blockage worse. Of course fiber can also be a friend in pushing things through but I'd be very cautious and experiment with soluble fiber only.