• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Curious About New Symptoms

Hey, so i was recently diagnosed in the beginning of the summer with crohns disease. I had terrible stomach pains, diarrhea all the time, etc... After some steroids and antibiotics added onto my normal routine of Pentasa, i started to feel better.

Now recently i have had a weird cycle of symptoms. I will not go to the bathroom for a day or two and then the day i finally do go to the bathroom i cant stop going. I spend a few hours just going back and forth from the couch to the bathroom. Towards the end i get the feeling of having to go to the bathroom but i sit down and dont really have anything left to get out. I also lose my appetite on these days and when i do eat something i cant eat much and feel nauseous.

I am scared that this means i have a blockage, but i have looked up a lot of information on them and everyone says they have very very bad abdominal pain when they are not going to the bathroom which rarely is happening to me.

If anyone has any idea of what this could be or any way to help it would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, it's not uncommon for Crohn's symptoms to vary, and I don't think your symptoms would necessarily indicate a blockage.

How long have your symptoms been following this pattern? What makes you think your symptoms indicate a blockage? Maybe asking a doctor whether he/she thinks a blockage is likely would help you - either to confirm a blockage and initiate treatment, or to put your mind at rest. Imaging studies (X-ray, ultrasound, etc.) can be used to diagnose (or rule out) blockages, but a good doctor would be able to tell you if a blockage is likely simply by assessing your account of your symptoms, examining your abdomen to check for signs of swelling, and listening for lack of bowel sounds.

If a doctor confirms that you don't have a blockage, he/she may be able to help you manage your symptoms, perhaps by prescribing anti-diarrhoea meds or anti-nausea meds. Also make sure you drink plenty on the days you get diarrhoea to avoid dehydration.

There is a thread on bowel blockages/obstructions here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=29625 though remember that many symptoms arising from blockages can also just be less sinister symptoms of Crohn's. Hopefully by asking a doctor you'll be able to get a better idea of what is going on with you.