• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Disease and getting pregnant

I have had Crohn's Disease since I was 11...I just recently got married and am having a very successful life thank goodness! A month before the wedding the doctor did a colonoscopy (I was feeling terrible), MRI, blood tests..yadda yadda.. And everything came back that the Crohns was very active. Mind you I have severe Crohns throughout my entire bowel. I am on Remicade. About a week after all these tests I got my remicade infusion and felt totally fine within a few days after. Now my doctor told me (about 1-2 months ago) that I should not get pregnant if I was thinking about it. Since this point I feel totally fine, almost no stomach pain, no diarrhea, very energized... When do I know it is okay to start "trying"... And I would love to hear from females who have been pregnant with Crohns! Thanks so much

I would check with your doctor again before making the final decision.

I had a baby last year, I was in remission before trying to conceive, however once I became pregnant I felt better than I had in a long time! I had one day where I felt ill the whole pregnancy. I ate popcorn and everything! My good health continued until a few months ago, just before my baby's first birthday, and now while I don't think I'm in an active flare I'm not feeling as fantastic as I did before (had a few close bathroom calls, that sort of thing).

I continued with my meds (Pentasa and azathioprine) throughout pregnancy and have breastfed while taking them, my daughter seems perfectly healthy and unaffected by the meds.