• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

All i can do is watch my boyfriend struggle with his pain =[

My boyfriend was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when he was 15 years old. He is now 24 and uninsured, has gone without medication for about 6 years, and is not in the best condition. He is 6'0, 140lbs, and probably the most unhealthy as he has ever been. For the last 5 years we have been together, he was unable to eat anything at all without either vomiting a little while after or getting bad stomach pains and having horrible bowel movements. Last year, specifically last July 4th, 2012, he was having very bad stomach pains and told me that he has never had pains as bad as this since he has been diagnosed. They went away eventually and we carried on throughout our day, until we went to a bbq and he tried eating a hot dog. A few minutes later, he was vomiting, crying and screaming in pain. I had called the ambulance and he was rushed to the ER. Long story short, it had turned out to be his gal bladder. He had it taken out, and since then he has not had any stomach pains at all! It was amazing. The doctor even said his Crohn's was in remission. Now, as much as I do not condone this, my boyfriend is, or was, a habitual pot smoker. He quit smoking this weed cold turkey, and since the day he quit he started having horrible stomach pains again and has been getting sick ever since. I have heard magnesium helps with flares ups and stomach pains, but without health insurance (at least until this whole obama care thing kicks in) it is horrible seeing him in so much pain. I encouraged him to quit smoking, but I almost think he might just be better off smoking again so he doesn't have to go through this. Hopefully there will be some kind of light at the end of our tunnel =[

nogutsnoglory

I'm so sorry to hear about your boyfriend and the impact it's had on you both. Hopefully he can get decent treatment when the new law takes effect. Many do find medical marijuana helps their condition. I have no personal experience with it but we have a sub-forum here under treatment for those who believe in it.

Just to make a comment on the post above. I have seen no scientific studies to show cactus juice helps treat IBD. If it works for you that is great but we would need research to back up a claim as far as it being beneficial for treatment purposes. Do you have any sources?

There are plenty of scientific study references on google on how it works as an anti-inflammatory. I don't know if one of those many includes a specific shout-out to crohns diease. It worked for me. I don't think people should shove the idea aside because it's still being researched and data is being gathered, especially when the prescribed drugs aren't working. It's very nice to no longer be on "drugs".