• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mince pies

I had ileostomy surgery 2 and a half weeks ago and I'm dying to eat a mince pie (or 6!) am I allowed to??
Kat

nogutsnoglory

I had to look that up because I had never heard of it. I'd eat very bland and low fiber for 4-6 weeks after surgery. After that period try one new food at a time to see how you adjust.

Right now your body is healing and adjusting and fruit, veg, whole grains, nuts and spices can irritate and at worst cause obstruction.

PsychoJane

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with mince either but I would say from the recipe I saw that it might be a bit early for it. It looks like there are bunch of dry fruits in there and these can be rather tricky to deal with at first. The only way I could see it being "safe" in very small portion was if you would make your own preparation and that you would blend these fruit into some sort of jam like a date square like preparation texture. Otherwise I would not risk it that early in the process.

:eek:You've never heard of mince pies???
They are very rich but yummy.
Yes I agree, might be early to try some.

At 2-1/2 weeks, your stoma is still swollen and your body is trying to adjust. Maybe a VERY little and chew it up really REALLY good. The dried fruit could swell up near the stoma and possibly cause an obstruction with your stoma being so new. If I were you, I wouldn't chance it, though.

Nyx

I agree with everyone else...try a little bit, and chew it really well - I mean, once you think you have it chewed really well, chew it more. Just to be safe.

Thanks everyone I might wait til Christmas just to be on the safe side.also because I know I won't be able to just have a little bit haha

My approach to anything that I'd really like but am uncertain about is to have a taste... A nibble or two and see how it goes - if everything is fine tomorrow, have a whole one, and enjoy!! :)

HD

rygon

I would suggest making your own (river cottage has a great recipe) so you know what is in it and if you can eat it all. As others have said, try a bit way before xmas so you can see if its ok (and if not it wont spoil xmas day)

Mince pies must be a British thing - I read these replies thinking who on earth hasn't heard of mince pies?!

I had my surgery six weeks ago, and am just starting on some of the foods known to risk blockages. I was wondering about mince pies too - but they are full of dried fruits. I think it would be quite a big risk.

Mmmmmm mince pies, I have been thinking about them too! Don't know if I dare tho, it's the raisins and dried fruit thing, I may try and make some but blitz the mincemeat first. If that fails I'm gonna make a mince pie and Xmas pud smoothie:)

At least we should be alright with brandy butter and Christmas chocolates? And I seem to be ok with sprouts - once they've been through the blender anyway. ;) So my Christmas dinner will be alright, it will just look like mush. :)

And I agree with 2thFairy, it's not like you just risk making yourself feel bad - some people might feel an increase in symptoms is worth paying for enjoying food, which is their choice, but risking a blockage where you don't just feel bad but are risking serious health complications is another matter.

Mmmmmm mince pies, I have been thinking about them too! Don't know if I dare tho, it's the raisins and dried fruit thing, I may try and make some but blitz the mincemeat first. If that fails I'm gonna make a mince pie and Xmas pud smoothie:)

Maybe we should go back to the original when mince pies were made of actual meat? More meat and less dried fruit?

For dessert, I guess chocolate yule log would be a good stoma-friendly alternative to Christmas pudding.

Mince pie smoothie haha may get my husband to make me some as he is a much better cook than me (don't anyone tell him I said that lol)