• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Keflex?

Can someone educate me on Keflex and how it may or may not affect IBD?

Finger vs bandsaw in Woods class today. Finger won, mostly. ER visit, three stitches, Bacitracin and Keflex for 7 days. GI isn't thrilled with another round of abx, but we can't risk infection either.

I'm flat out exhausted and hoping someone knows about Keflex so I don't have to spend all night researching it. Anyone?

Jack's GI okay'd keflex (Cephalexin) it was the other antiobiotic we were given at the same time that he told us to quit taking right away but the damage was already done - C-diff.
Hope there are no issues an he heals up quickly.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS had keflex for folliculitis earlier this year .
No issues ( right after omnicef for tonsillitis )
He is also on vsl#3 DS so maybe that's why

Sulfamethoxazole TMP DS.

This medication may rarely cause a severe intestinal condition (Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea) due to a resistant bacteria. This condition may occur while receiving treatment or even weeks to months after treatment has stopped. Do not use anti-diarrhea products or narcotic pain medications if you have the following symptoms because these products may make them worse. Tell your doctor immediately if you develop: persistent diarrhea, abdominal or stomach pain/cramping, or blood/mucus in your stool.