• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's is my new identity

Hi I am new to this forum. I might have had Crohn's for over 10 years, but I was diagnosed only 3 years ago. Had a couple of fissures and fistulas. Had one surgery to open up a fistula and several smaller painful outpatient procedures.

Generally healthy, but the rectum hurts after bowel movement. Bleeding stopped a year ago after GI put me on Pentasa. Pain started again this week. Seeing a new GI next week due to insurance change. Pilcam showed ileum and some parts of intestines have lesions.

Sorry, still shy to share my real name.

Tried fasting a few times, seems to give rectum some rest and relief. But because of high metabolism and probably lack of absorption by intestines, I lose weight fast and can't gain much weight.

hi Rollersun !

i have managed my disease with diet and supplements and no medications for 4.5 years. here are some tips:

reduce lactose and sucrose in diet. eat yogurt and/or cheese in place of milk, and consider calcium supplements if you cant tolerate much cheese either.
remove meat and eggs entirely.
lower your intake of fruits to almost nothing and completely avoid high sugar/sucrose fruits like bananas and fruit juices.

consume coconut oil as an antibacterial and try adding some soluble fiber supplements like inulin, apple pectin or psyllium.

There is a new treatment in FDA trials that may have cured UC, and may also do the same for Crohn's. The cause of IBD might be due to damaged intestinal bacteria, and this treatment restores lost species, and induces a remission without drugs. Doctor Thomas J. Borody says it may have even cured UC since remission has lasted so long in some patients. Read more here- http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52400

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles :(

Based upon everything you've said, Pentasa is nowhere near strong enough a treatment option. I hope that the new GI understands this and is able to get you on a proper treatment regimen.

All my best to you.