• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undecided about next step?

Hi, I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 2 months ago, after being so sick for 10 months with gastro issues, I thought was due to stress. I see a gastro doctor who wants me to be on Humira after being on Lialda and prednisone taper. I am undecided about the next step, as I feel pressured from the doctor's office for this treatment. The medication risks, side effects seem very significant and scary to think I could subject myself to, just to have a "normal" life. What are people's thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the forum. I was on Humira until I developed an allergy to it, then I switched to Cimzia. It's important to remember that all medications can have potential side effects. If you read the side effects listed on any number of very common meds, it can look scary, but they are generally very safe, and the risks are very small. Your doctor has determined that the potential benefits outweigh the small potential risk, but of course the final choice is up to you. I'm sure others will be here to weigh in. Also, keep in mind that left untreated, Crohn's can cause further damage to your body. Whatever you do, best wishes for better health in the near future!

Thanks. I'm getting a 2nd opinion from another gastro doc., to see if I get the same answers. I still am on the Lialda too. The doctor I have now said he knows of patients who had the potential risks happen to some of them.