• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Incision area: minor redness?!?

I had a small bowel resection on December 6th and just noticed that in the middle of my main incision is a bit red. Not angry red, just way more red than normal. Of course I notice this on a Friday evening. So, do I call them tomorrow or just go see my GP? It does bother me a bit, itchy and a bit painful.

The tricky part is that the surgeon is about two and a half hours away. Any advice? Thanks.

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about to be honest. Unless it feels warmer to touch than the rest of you, is oozing pus, or you have symptoms of a fever, which could indicate an infection. Incisions can be red (depending on your natural skin colour) as they're scarring over. I have very pale white skin and my incisions are always red, and remain a pinkish colour that's darker than my skin colour when they scar over.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I do not see any pus, but have been running a low grade fever since I have been home. Although, to me that means nothing. I always did that before surgery.

The part that made me a bit nervous is that the redness is not just on the incision itself. It extends into the skin out to the sides. So, about an inch to the right and left is turning red. Just in the middle of the incision. The top and bottom are just red on the incision itself. Where it is red on the surrounding skin there is a large scab (glue is mostly still intact), that kinda glued itself together. So, that I have a small fold of skin under the scab with the scab not touching the skin underneath. This is where it is red on the surrounding skin.

Again, I am hoping it is nothing. But wanted to get some feedback from the forum.

Trysha

Staff member
Your description sounds a bit ominous and suggests you should be seeking the advice of the surgeon or your family doctor as soon as possible.
I would not delay seeking further medical advice where there is the possibility of an infection.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Thanks all. I did call the surgeon and he recommended that I mark the ends of the red area with a pen and if it spreads to call back. So, I wrote on my stomach with pen and hope that it doesn't spread. Mainly this is the route since I am doing fine otherwise.