• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Something I really like doing since I've had an ileostomy

When I am completely exhausted and I need to get to bed and sleep - which for me is every evening - I get into bed, and then my stomach starts cramping. Before the ileostomy, I'd have to drag myself out of bed, into the cold, and spend a couple of hours in the bathroom, in pain. Now I have the ileostomy I get into bed, and my stomach starts cramping, and I love it because I know I don't even have to get out of bed . :) I just lie there in the warm, dozing, and the most I'll have to do is get up once to go empty the bag, which takes five minutes.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy lying in my nice warm bed thinking these kind of thoughts!

Hey unxmas,
I totally agree, like you I spent many years in agony. Going to bed knowing I would wake in agony didn't exactly help with going to sleep in the first place. And to think the doc said I was a depressed insomniac with an irritable bowel. Been a year now with my ileostomy and can safely say,like you I'm now happy to be going to bed knowing I will have one or two empties only! For the first few months I was emptying 6 times a night and probably 10 times during the day. I was soo tired all of the time. Now it has slowed down, I think due to copious amounts of loperamide I am much happier in the knowledge I can actually get a semi good nights sleep. It sounds like you have done really well with adjusting to your new appendage, I have found it hard to adjust but am getting there I think. One thing for sure, leaving that level of constant pain behind has got to be a good thing!