Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Can I still take cimzia?

12-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
KayleighMeek
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Can I still take cimzia?

Hello all

Hope you have managed to enjoy some of Christmas.
I will be speaking to my dr about this as I forgot to ask today and now I will have to wait until after the bank holiday but wanted to see if anyone had anything similar.

I went to the dentist today as the left side of my face is agony and it turns out my wisdom tooth breaking through has left a flap of gum which has now got an infection in it. I have been given antibiotics to start, which I am really not looking forward too, but can I still take my cimzia?
Also any ideas on how to dull the pain? I have been taking painkillers and using bonjela but it is still sore I have filled up the ice cube tray just waiting for it to freeze so I can use that on my face.

Hope you all have a happy new year x

Previous meds
Pentasa, Aza, 6mp, Remicade, Humira and Sulfasalazine
12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I had to do some dental work while on Cimzia. Your doctor may differ but mine said its fine but they preferred I did any work in between injections at the half way point. So, if you inject bi-weekly, try to do it in your off week as that way you are theoretically the least immunocompromised while still on the medicine. Hope that makes sense.
12-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
KayleighMeek
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That makes sense but there isn't a plan to remove the tooth at this point. I was more concerned about taking cimzia whilst having an infection and on antibiotics, I don't want to make anything worse. It's good to know in the future if it comes to it I won't have to cause myself more pain stopping the injections.
12-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Oh sorry I am half asleep and just assumed you meant dental work. If you have an active infection that's a different story and your doctor may very well want to delay your injection.

With my abscess on Cimzia I had one doctor who had me take the drug and another who postponed it.
12-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
KayleighMeek
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's ok I know the half asleep feeling pretty much constant at the moment lol.
I thought it might come down to missing it I just don't want to miss to many as I didn't take it last week as I thought I was coming down with a bug but now I think it's just crohn's being a pain.
12-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Yeah I understand the frustration. We need to calculate every move we make. Sigh. *hugs* I hope it resolves soon.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Can I still take cimzia?