• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Treatments and Strategies for Fissures

I have a few anal fissures that really bother me. My Crohn's was determined to not be active, but these really cause my most pain and discomfort. Does anyone have any strategies for relief? I have had some luck with normal Preparation H and Preparation suppositories. Some things say to avoid Preparation H. How about medications that have worked?

I am just looking for some ideas to discuss with my doctor in a couple of weeks at my next appointment.

Matt

Hi Matt and a Happy New Year. I'm sorry you're having these issues. If you pop over to our subforum, you'll find others with similar issues and also some existing threads on the subject.

Oh good, you found it. Sorry for being so remiss. Sitz baths occurred to me too, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for fissures? Maybe it's better to keep the area dry?
http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Fissure
This is a link to the Wiki entry on fissures, which also has a list of related threads at the end of it :smile:

I suffered from an anal fissure for about two weeks. Literally, one of the worst pains ever! What helped me was to lube up my butt with vaseline before going to the restroom; sounds, crazy, but it worked! I would feel no pain! Only wipe with wet wipes! Afterwards I would put a medicated ointment on afterwards to help with the healing. It also helps if you can avoid going to the bathroom for a day or two. I was constipated at the time, so I was lucky in that regard. It helps because every time you poop, you are basically "re-tearing" the fissure. Good luck!