• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed and confused

Hi, I was hoping to get a little advice. A week after arriving at college (in my third year, so this is not a new environment) I completely lost my appetite. Woke up one morning and I haven't been hungry since. I have lost over 25 pounds since September. I'm 5'7 and went from 150 to 125. I look very thin, but I have absolutely no desire to eat and I continue to rapidly lose weight. When I eat too much there is some bleeding and severe stomach cramps. I go through phases where I am very tired all the time, and during these times I often wake up in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps. I have seen several doctors and none of them have any idea what this is. I am scheduled for an endoscopy and colonoscopy next month. Could this be Crohn's Disease?

afidz

Super Moderator
It very well could be, hopefully the tests will give you answers.
As for the leg cramps, try to increase your potassium intake. Low potassium can lead to muscle spasms and cramps. Have you had any blood work done recently? Good vitamin levels to check for are B12, Vitamin D, potassium and iron. (there are other important ones too, but those I think are the most important)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Emily!

Yes, that could be Crohn's - but we can't say for certain. Hopefully your upcoming tests will give you answers.

The lack of appetite sounds very frustrating, but I hope you're pushing yourself to eat as much as possible anyway. Small, frequent snacks / meals sound like the best way to go to keep the stomach cramps and bleeding at bay. Have you tried a food journal? It could be that there are specific foods adding to these symptoms, and detailing everything you eat and when your symptoms occur might help you determine what they are. You might want to try nutritional drinks such as Ensure as well, to help keep you nourished.

:hug: I hope you find answers soon, Emily!