• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I feel like an old lady

Hi everyone,

I'm 31 years old and was diagnosed with crohn's disease last April after years of symptoms. Knowing what I know now and looking back at the troubles I've had most of my life, I don't understand how this wasn't diagnosed earlier. Not until the disease peaked 3 years ago was this even suspected. I was first diagnosed with IBD.

Fast forward to now. I'm currently on Asacol 3 times daily and got off prednisone a few months ago. Problem is my hair is falling out at alarming rates (it's depressing), my skin is dry (I go through moisturizer like you would not believe), I'm anaemic and I have ridiculous joint paint. My co-workers can hear me before they see me cuz my Knees crack so much when I walk. I feel like an old lady.

Any suggestions to help alleviate these symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

i dont have an answer, but i feel ya.. im 38 and was diagnosed a year ago.. i also feel like im an old man.. uggh.. mostly the joint pain. im hoping a biologic will help. i went to a rheumatologist and he recommend a biologic as my joint pain relates to how active my crohns is.. so ill see next week. i hope you find an answer.. maybe head to the rheumatologist?

Thank you. Good luck with your biologic (first i'm hearing of it so will definitely look into it).

Hello, I had just posted on this ;)
Hi there, some of the meds can leach certain mineral and vitamins out of the body. A couple that seems to come to mind is folic acid B9 and B12. By the way, B9 is not stored in the body and is replaced daily.
Both or either being low can contribute to hair loss, depression, increased d, fatigue, soar swollen tongue, etc.
So ask your Dr. if you need to be checked for being low or if you can properly supplement.
Also as I am sure by now you will know I am going to post a possibly natural remedy. I stumbled on this by chance btw. Organic virgin coconut oil* I use it on my skin everyday and wow it has made a difference, now the added benefit recently noted was I had my hair in a towel and at the front hairline I noticed new hair growth - and much of it.It is currently about 1 1/2 inches long. Since I have been using the coconut oil on my face and I do go to the hairline it made a difference. I have been using the coconut oil for approx. 8 months. I was shocked but pleased. Just a thought for you.

Peace to you ;)