• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosis And Treatment Worries

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in September of 2013, since then it has been a rollercoaster of problems. I was prescribed Pentasa with no results, I was then given Entocort and Imuran, I had some sort of reaction to the Imuran (possibly). I went a few weeks on nothing because the PA decided the reaction I had was meningitis and I had to convince the doctor it wasn't. I was then given prednisone while waiting for the process of being put on Humira. I have been on Humira for almost eight weeks, but do not feel like it is working 100%. I called my GI doctor and now he just wants to do surgery. My GI says he has not seen Crohn's progress like this (as fast), because he doesnt listen when i explained to him that i had went to a GI 10 years ago with similar pains but they said it was just ulcers and i had been having similar pains the entire time. I feel like I have not gone through all the options. I have went to my primary doctor to get a refferal to a different GI doctor for a second opinion. The Humira works but not completly, is there any other medicine that would work with Humira? I think the stress of all of this doesn't seem to be helping much either. I really want to find some sort of relief.
Sorry for the rambling, I just am stressed and frustrated.
Thank You

How often do you take the Humira? I know they can move the dose up if it seems to be wearing out before your next injection.

I do think Humira can take a little longer than 8 weeks to become fully effective.

Are you still on Prednisone? Does it seem to be helping?

I know the process of finding the right medication can be extremely frustrating, but once you find the right one for you it is totally worth it. It is not completely uncommon to have to switch meds a few times before you find the right one. (((Hugs))))

Johnnysmom, I am taking Humira every other week. I did taper off of the Predisone. My doctor does not seem to want to try anything above and beyond a set list of "try this" things.
Worriedboy, I did do a barium swallow (horrible procedure from start to finish), the tech doing the procedure did show me on the screen where the intestines were would white (as opposed to just highlighted) but my doctor just said there is a large portion of your ileum that is worrisom, but never did go over the results real well with me.
Thank you both for responding it is great to have someone to talk to about all the problems associated with this wondeful disease.