• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anybody help me?

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my story. I got diagnosed with crohns about 9 months ago. After suffering for years they finally diagnosed me when I went to and e screaming in pain and vomiting. I was hospitalised for 2 weeks and a week later I got rushed back in which I stayed in for a further 2 weeks. The day I was going to be home my bowel perforated and woke up in intensive care 2 days later which I spent a further two weeks in hospital. After losing my job and feeling totally crap. My family and a few friends were extremely suportive. I managed to go back to my flat living by myself. I still suffered for months going to the toilet not being able to go out like a normal young person. I am only 24 after all. I got on azathioprine and 6 mp which both made me hair all fall out and severe vomiting. My hair is growing back slowly. Did anyone else have a problem with this. Finally last month I got put on another new medication questran. It's finally letting me get my life back. I now have a part time job which I've been at for 2 months. I'm struggling with ideas for food. Ive found the best is cutting out gluten. But if anyone could give me any ideas! I also have up smoking but started again due to stress. Is it essintials I give up again? Did anyone else lose there job? I don't want to lose my current one! My family don't live near me. So is hard as I support myself. Sometimes coming to terms with it gets me really low! Can anyone answer my questions as I don't know anyone who has Crohn's disease so it's hard as people don't quite understand how much of a struggle it is! I'm currently on pentasa questran iron tablets and b12 injections and soon to be start taking humara.

Welcome to the forum! You have definitely come to the right place :D Sounds like you are getting things back to together and may be on the road to remission :) Hair loss is common from what I have read, when you have diseased bowel you don't absorb nutrients properly which can result in hair loss. It is also known as a side effect for some medications.
I haven't lost my job, though I am down to 1 shift a week. I understand the stress of not being able to bring in a paycheck :( I am lucky though, my boss has been quite understanding and is totally on my side. She is trying to help me out the best she can :) I'm sure others will chime in here.

thanks for the reply! how do you manage to only work one shift a week? things are getting back on track but i feel there's more room for improvement

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, and welcome,
It takes time to find the right meds that suit you to control and lessen the inflammation of Crohns. I have been there, methotrexate injections caused hair loss and did not work for me. It is a fickle illness where meds may work for one person but not another. I am glad you are feeling better and wish you well. It is good you now have a job. Good luck, let me know how you are doing?::
:rosette1::welcome::rosette1:

thanks for the reply! how do you manage to only work one shift a week? things are getting back on track but i feel there's more room for improvement
I can get away with only 1 shift a week because my husband is the bread winner, lol. I work to get out of the house and get some adult interaction. I am sure if I had to work to pay the bills it would be a different story