• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

22 yr old male. diagnosed at 16

okay this is going to be difficult to talk about but here goes nothing... So I'm what many would call a "late bloomer," and I have some concerns about my long term prednisone use effecting puberty...( I think you know what I mean). Well, I didn't start going through puberty until late 15 early 16 yrs old. Well, I started taking prednisone a few months later and haven't stopped yet. daily doses have changed but have bounced around from 60mg daily to 5mg daily. Anyway, I am concerned that this long term usage has resulted in a stunted growth of my penis and testicles. I won't go into dimensions but def. below average. does anyone know if the connection that I am making is valid or not? I'd ask a doctor but I am far too embarrassed to ask. any help would be great thanks.

nogutsnoglory

At 22 I would be surprised if you continued having physical changes in terms of puberty. Do your doctors think you will continue to grow?

I can't speak to whether pred can inhibit puberty but it seems to be troubling you and if that's the case doctors hear everything and wouldn't blink an eye. Also as a fellow male let me be the first to say that what guys say their size is doesn't match up with the actual averages. I don't know what your packing but what you see in the media doesn't correlate with reality.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community.

Prednisone can definitely inhibit puberty. Is it the only medication you're on? Why have they had to keep you on it for so long? Most doctors use it only sparingly or some not at all.