• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Keep getting the shingles!!

Hi guys has anyone else had problems with shingles?I keep getting them on my lower back the same place all the time :ybatty:
I'm on mercaptopurine 25mg and also on pred at the moment 15mg tapering off.
Do you think its the pred and mercaptopurine is the problem?:ymad:

nogutsnoglory

I got it twice while on 6mp and it means you are susceptible because of the lowered immune system. There is a shingles vaccine that you might be eligible for.

I have had several awful cases of shingles in the past, and yes- in the same places. It had been a few years since I had them, but over Christmas, while on prednisone, they started up. I called my doctor, and she immediately started me on acyclovir, which has kept them at bay. Antivirals can help, if you start them within a day or two. I also tend to get a few nasty sores, (herpes), in the same places, and go on a course of antivirals right away when they start.

I feel for you! I hope they are not too severe!

Thank you for the reply guys im on acyclovir 800 mg 5 tablets a day,I noticed it early so hopefully it wont be a bad one.
Its just so annoying being on these meds and getting all these horrible bugs it just seems to be one thing after another :eek: