• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IPhone apps for Crohn's patients

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
iPhone apps for Crohn's patients

For folks with iPhones...

GI Monitor

This one was developed by an 18-year IBD sufferer...

Youtube video

Fairly straight-forward diary-type application. I will definitely use this one.

Crohn's Toolkit

Link

This one is affiliated with another website. Still kind of useful with tips on yoga and such.

I'm not sure what's out there for other types of smart phones, but just thought I'd mention these seeing as I have an iPhone.

Last edited:
i love that gi monitor.
very cool, it would come in so handy when you are filling out the mandatory paperwork at the start of every dr appt...symptoms worse, better, pain scale, med changes, etc.
i can never remember that stuff

B

bshamosh

I developed GI Monitor

Thanks for the kind words, all. I developed this app. One correction - I've had Crohn's for 18 years (not 18 years old - I'm actually 34). :) Anyway - I am fully committed to making this application as useful as possible for IBD patients and I can only do that with your help. PLEASE let me know about any features you would like to see in future releases.

Some examples that have come up so far:
Diet Log - will be adding
notes fields for stool/pain - will be adding

I also ask for your help is sharing this app. with other IBD patients. The more patients that use the application, the more helpful it will become for all of us. Anything you can do to spread the word would be appreciated (emails, Facebook, Twitter, etc). .I also plan to add central data collection (optional - and anonymous) in hopes of better data for treatment options. Many researchers have asked me for this.

You can always contact me at brett@wellapps.com or http://www.wellapps.com through the contact form.

Best,
Brett

Looks very helpful and user friendly
A couple of features I would want to be added are:
1) Tapering monitor-To help keep track of dosing decreases while on Pred
2) Prescription reminders-since it tracks your daily doses, it could calculate when you need a refill or scheducle an appointment for a refill.

I kept a daily calender of those things and more. I can rarely even get a doctor to look at the calender, let alone read it. I gave up on the 6th of this month.

teeny5 said:
If only I had an iphone...
Same here. Too costly right now, and there's not much need for such a thing in my case (I have a good memory and a cell/PSP, but if I was making a lot more sure, I'd buy an iPhone I guess)

same for me colt, i used to detail everything so well and map it out so it would be easily readable. then when they start asking the questions, gave them the paper so they could clearly see.
yeah they never looked at it too closely. "mhmm ok. what meds are you on?"
look at the damn paper.

no iphone for me either. wpuld be nice, but not too necessary for how much it is.

I'd love if someone would write it for the Blackberry. I like the iPhone and my mom has an iPod Touch but phone wise I'm sticking with my Blackberry =) Awesome app though Brett and I'm sure the community here does appreciate it.

Only just downloaded GI Monitor, but very impressed so far. I was looking for something like this weeks ago but was only able to find the Poo Log. All it did was log information that was somewhat relevant, and make me laugh. This is way better, and free!

To mention another app. I liked the Livestrong Calorie Tracker. Good for making sure you're eating enough in a day. It is connected to a database of thousands of foods that provides nutrition information and keeps a running total of calories through the day. I was shocked, when I first downloaded it, to find out how little I was actually eating because I always felt like I was full.

kello82 said:
same for me colt, i used to detail everything so well and map it out so it would be easily readable. then when they start asking the questions, gave them the paper so they could clearly see.
yeah they never looked at it too closely. "mhmm ok. what meds are you on?"
look at the damn paper.

no iphone for me either. wpuld be nice, but not too necessary for how much it is.

Yup me too, I sat and typed up the dates, symptoms and med changes etc, it was only one page long and the info was in point form and very clear.

But my previous GI (the asshole) didn't even take the paper from me. He didn't even bother looking at it.

i find that in my experience, these GI's focus more on 'how do you feel now?', and don't seem to want to waste time hearing a list of past symptoms or patterns. If you have concerns regarding symptoms you're having now, fine they'll listen... if you want to tell them you're feeling better, that's fine too.

however, i do have an iphone, so i might have to check this app out! :)

Another good app, but not specifically for Crohn's, is Fitness Builder.

If you frequent the gym it is really good for keeping a routine and tracking your progress. It has a library of thousands of exercises and hundreds of pre-packaged workouts. All of the workouts have descriptive instructions, pictures, and often videos for how to do the exercise. The app costs $10 compared to iFitness which is only $2, but it is far more robust and I found to be an all around better app.

There used to be an issue with it crashing when the iPhone software was updated to v3, but it has since been fixed.

If you want more exercises, pre-packaged workouts, and the ability to ask their staff unlimited fitness related questions any time you want, you can get a plus subscription for about $30 for the year. I haven't gotten plus yet, but I am seriously considering it. Here is the website if you want to learn more and/or check out videos of it in action Fitness Builder