• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Perianal skin tags?

I always have them when I am flaring or not. When I am not flaring they are not nice but don't cause me any problems but when I am they get bigger and are uncomfortable and sometimes painfull

I've had them long before being diagnosed.... Probably 10 years. But they drive me crazy!! I know they're normal, but they are always itchy, and make me feel very self conscious when I see gyne. I also have trouble with BMs because I go through several charmin wet wipes every time to get them clean... And I go at least 4 times a day!

Yup, I had several skin tags with my perianal disease, along with other damage to the area. I had my rectum and anus removed recently, and as a bonus, it got rid of all those problems down there (including the skin tags).

If you won't be having rectal surgery, you may want to ask your doc if they can remove the skin tags - it should relatively easy depending on how they do it. I would imagine they would cut and cauterize.

Surgery can cause damage to the anal sphincter and cause more problems especially as crohns comes with a lot of D it could cause incontinence. I have been told by my GI if its not causing a massive problem to leave them well alone they are horrible but I am kind of used to them now.

I find the easiest way to clean is to use the shower it sounds gross but it is the best way causes less irritation and you can be nice and clean. My dr did give me a cream to help with the itching a whole back but I can't remember what it was called.

I have three right now that I named Stewie, Hewie, and Lewie. Ha.

I've had two removed, but got two more soon after, plus it was extremely painful. It's so hard to get clean after a BM with the skin tags; ewwww and annoying.

So glad to know I'm not alone with this unpleasantry. I'm not interested in surgically removing them - not worth the infection risk with all my meds and such! But Kayleigh - good idea to use shower, maybe I'll have my husband add a removable shower head to aim better lol. And anti-itch cream would be helpful!! I'll have to ask the GI about that. And Essie - love that you named them!! Lol