• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

And so this is it!

Says Hello to the world.

I'm an old guy from London, UK who likes the internet.
I have had problems with my bowels for years and years and I never took much notice because I was young, fit, healthy and ignorant.
I was always passing blood and I had the idea I may have had haemorrhoids but over the years it got worse and worse and finally I went into hospital for a colonoscopy and they said I had Crohns.
How wonderful that I finally had a tag for my condition.
My work has been absolutely well understanding about it and give me time off during a flare.
Once they told me what it was I still remained ignorant. I knew not about it being a Systemic disease - affecting other parts of the body. All I knew since I was diagnosed in 2010 that it was affecting my large colon only. Since it can affect anywhere between mouth and bowel I considered myself fortunate it have it localised if you will.

But now the systemic plays heavily upon me - fatigue, pains in joints - especially my knees and hips and my eyes. I also get this (I read in another thread here) Crohn's brain - the fuzziness of thinking.
My appetite does not seem to have been affected and my stomach has swelled out a little in the distended sense (said goodbye to the abs in 2005).
I was shown photos of my colon when I had that camera up there (thank heavens it wasn't wide angle) and they gave me steroids and then Asacol and when that didn't show signs of improving I went on to Pentasa. Still no improvement and so I was given Infliximab and this worked a treat . I still have this every 8 weeks and the quality of life is good.

Last few months have had more than their fair share of downs and today I was due to have a colonoscopy again. I was feeling terrible and so I backed out.
I've now got it in my head that I can live like this - I hate being poked and prodded and I really don't want to undergo those procedures.

I have read what some of you others have suffered and my heart goes out to you - I am lucky by comparison - I just want to be left alone and have peace.

Welcome, once you accept situation and disease it does get better. Honestly it took me long time a least 3 years. Change diet might be good thing. Good luck.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of everything you're going through but appreciate you taking the time to share your story. A few things:

1. With that stomach distention, I suggest you read up on small bowel intestinal overgrowth.

2. I realize colonoscopies are no fun, but it really is important that you get them so they can monitor your disease state :(

3. Are you on any medications?

4. One of the most common causes of fatigue in people with Crohn's disease is vitamin B12 deficiency. While people who have Crohn's Colitis are not as likely to have a B12 deficiency, if you do have SIBO, then the chances are much higher. I suggest talking to your doctor about getting tested for it.

5. How is your diet?

All my best to you.

Hi Garth

Sorry to hear you're another Crohn's sufferer and your not feeling so good at present. Please try and have the colonoscopy as soon as possible so your consultant can get an idea of what is making you feel worse. Are you being treated by one of the big London hospitals? I moved my treatment from our local hospital to Guys/St.Thomas' and they have been excellent.

Wishing you well

thank everyone for the kind replies.
Josephine - thank you - Diet is something I must look at!

Thanks David: I'll check on that small bowel growth. Thanks for the B12 tip - this vitamin seems to be quite a super hero. I remember this one helped my sister with her period pains many many years ago.
My only medication at present is the 8 weekly Infliximab infusion.
My diet is simple and often hap-hazard - I know I should look at this as a matter of importance.

Highlands - yes but I'm still hoping to avoid! I'm being treated at Kings Hospital.

Thanks absent-minded

I used to live in London and was looked after by King's, it's where I got my diagnosis! They have a great IBD team, my gastro was called Prof. Ingvar Bijarnasson, I really liked him.